Weird gas question....

cableguynoe

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
OK, i have had my 01 LS V8 for almost 2 years. When i first got it and i would fill up the tank it would always give we "393 miles to empty".
After a while it went down to about 363 every time i fill her up.

Here's the weird part...I have always used 91 octane, but just recently, since gas prices have been CRAZY, i decided to save myself a few bucks. I have been filling up with 87 and 89 for a couple weeks.
Today it told me i had "406 miles to empty"!!!....IT HAS NEVER HIT 400!!!!
The best part is i didnt even fill her up...i just paid $40 since i had the cash on me. I'm sure it was almost full but a little more would have fit, I'm sure.

How is this possible? I'm not complaining...I just think it's weird.....
Don't we get better gas milege from 91 octane?

OK, also this morning i gave her an oil change...first time i use Motorcraft for both oil and filter. Could this have anything to do with it? Or just coincidence?

:Beer Here's to my gas prayers being answered! :Beer

when i went to florida this summer (i was gonna post about this too), but i filled up alot. and each thime i filled up each time would be dramatically different. sometime would be 360s then 290s then it got to 400. why does it do this. i didnt understand it at all. soeone chirp in a help us out understand this. thanks

itsnotmydaddys said:
when i went to florida this summer (i was gonna post about this too), but i filled up alot. and each thime i filled up each time would be dramatically different. sometime would be 360s then 290s then it got to 400. why does it do this. i didnt understand it at all. soeone chirp in a help us out understand this. thanks

I am sure it is based on the mpg you got on the last number of miles you drove. What I don't know is whether it was based on the last 1 mile, 5 miles, 10 miles or what.

02lsv8sport said:
I am sure it is based on the mpg you got on the last number of miles you drove. What I don't know is whether it was based on the last 1 mile, 5 miles, 10 miles or what.

Hmmm..If this is true why was it always consistent before....for about 18 months?

well i notice that when im driving to newyork all the time
ill start with a full time at about 340 then about the time i get down to between 170 and 200 yously inbetween there it will jump up 40 to 50 miles more its the way the car ajust to the driving and the MPG you get but you have to do the highway driving constantly for it to ajust like that you can just drive 10 miles and get it to ajust on the dash man

damn! i only get 272 when i fill up 00LSV8 Sport cant remeber the last time the meter read over 300miles?????

On my trip out to texas, I hit 452. It's based on driving habits. If you normally drive in the city, and then take a long drive on the interstate, the miles to empty will rise.

yes that is true but somtimes you haved to be patient for it to rise somtime you have to wait for it to get down to half a tanke befor it register another 40 to 80 miles to the tank

the highest ive seen my 01lsv8 is 309mpg slap full but i do mostly stop and go unfortunatly :(

No computer on mine but a rarely get gas with less than 400 miles showing. Have gone as high as 478 miles on a tank full.

IIRC, it's an average of the last 1K miles or so.

I stay in the 340-60 range. I always put 91+ octane in the LS because I put 89 in once and the car felt like it lost all its balls.

well i always put 93 in and i put in 91 ones when i was out of town drove to La ones
and it didnt feel like it it lost its balls i swear man nothing let in power till i got back north Man

so the next time i took a trip down there dad swore i would die you never guess what i did
i put the suite case in the back seat and in the trunk i was driving with 6 gas cans full of 100 octane every time i stoped to fill up i would dilute with 3 gallons of 100 octane to a full tank LOL

this has happened to me too, have a 2000 v8 sport, and was gettin about 19-20 mpg with 93 octane (cant find 91,,lol)

than i was shovin 89 in there a few times and was gettin about 21-22 mpg.

basically driving the same, i just think the comp is a lil testy.

also noticed that i can be drivin and have like 120 miles till empty than look and have like 118 than look again and have 125 till empty,,lol

the miles till empty is nice, but i don't rest my to much time on it.

i filled up today
57 dollars to fill up the tank from what i had in there
comp sed 369 miles to empty drove to the country with Maggi she likes the park out there my doggy maggie likes to run there for a whyl when i go out there so drove 30 miles each way on the highway on my way back i was down to 323 then i look at it and it sed 375 so im like cool
but its yously of by like 25 or 30 miles and i yously fill up when it sess like 50 or 60 dont let it get down lower then that ever

ok i did a test. I reset the computer. Drove about 5 miles like grandma, drove home and my mpg said 387 till empty. when i reset my computer it said 203 till empty.

thout you sed when you did a test it sed 300 somthing man in the high 300s
where are you getting these 200s from

Members online

Back