Water leak, im lost.

MachME

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
All of a sudden the towncar has a water leak. There has been a lot of storms around here the past weeks and ive had to take the driver seat out 4 times now, lift the carpet and dry everything.

Ive gone over the stripping around the doors over and over, sealed some stuff up, compared it to the pasenger side but still nothing. It continues to leak.

Our drive way has a good incline and the water puddles up in the driver passenger foot area with the front and under drivers seat being wet. So i think its come in the front and running to the back because of the incline.

Is there anywhere else water could be comming in besides the weather stripping around the doors? This really sucks.

thanks

Couple of items - If you have a moon-roof - that can be suspect drain tubs become clogged or even unplugged and can flood the interior.

Next area would be the windshield seal

lastly would be the cowl area - where the windshield wipers park. There are fresh air vents, drains and other openings in this area - leaves and other debris like dead chipmunks (dont ask) can clog drains and cause water in the passenger compartment and in extreme cases rust out - if left unattended. This was a huge issue of Fords and Lincolns in the mid-late 60s' but still pops up even today.

With a helper take hose or better yet a bucket of water and soak these areas one at a time and see where the water is coming from. Then at least you know what area to concentrate on.

Hope this helps.

So i took the driver kick panel off that goes over the hood latch lever and sat inside while someone sprayed the weather stripping.

We sprayed it for 15sec, then stopped, then about 10-15sec later water was dripping at the top of one of the main wires down the wire to the floor.

I still wouldnt know where the leak is coming from, because if its coming inside it has to be getting inside the car from the outside.

Any ideas?

when the guy sprays the water start at the bottom and work your way up until the water starts, I think it will be in the cowl area like Frat says. You might have to remove the cowl screen and start over again.
max

So i removed the plastic cowl and looked in there. Maybe im blind but the only thing i saw was tubing for the wiper spray, a big hole(drain?) in the middle, a little hole on the very outside on each side and a vent/screen on the passenger side.

So what am i looking for that would be plugged? Like i said its coming down above the driver kick panel.

Hopefully i can get this fixed, all we get is rain here lately....

BTW, how the F do these wipers come off? I found a little tab at the base but it seemed to have a screw through it on the underside and wouldnt pull out to release it or maybe im being dumb....

thanks for the help again

Members online

Back