Vintage Conti

Paul Ryan

LVC Member
Reaction score
I was out shopping tonight and there was one of those antique car shows in the parking lot. A few nice ones, but one car in particular blew me away, and stole the show. Get this, a 1951 Lincoln Continental. Didn't have the camera, but it was a two-tone green (pale body, dark roof), cloth amber and black bench seats, and was a bubble top- common in the late 40's, but huge-guessing maybe the length of my curent Town Car or close to that, and the bubble top was quite high. This was a very big car. You would certainly see it coming.

What was really neat was that even back then the Continental seemed to have some extra features. It had what looked to be a lock on the gas cap, some very good styling and what really looked almost like a Cadillac symbol-a bit like a gold crown on the trunk handle. Had an rear opera window that you could open from inside, and a wack of chrome. The word "Continental" was on the front passenger bumper area, but was squished to a point it was difficult to read (probably the font of the day)-initially I looked at that for a while before it dawned on me it really was a Conti. I didn't know the model went back that far, and shame on Ford for discontinuing this amazing car. It looked great in the 50's and looks great right up to when they stopped making them in 02. You weren't to touch or go too close to this car so not sure, but looked like it also had some wood on the dash, and an oversized steering wheel. Big bumpers and big fat white wall Firestones. Sorry I didn't get any photos, but hope the description is good enough to give an idea of the 'way back' roots our newer buddies came from.

Members online

No members online now.
Back