Vehicle history check?

Terrapin88

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

Does anyone have access to vehicle history checks who wouldn't mind checking my VIN for me? Feel free to PM me if you can help.

Or know of a FREE VIN checker site that actually is free and works? (I know, I'm dreaming)

I have no history on my car and don't know the previous owners info to contact him. I bought the car from a guy who flips cars so no info available.

Thanks!

The history reports don't tell you who owned it last. You can see city and state where it has been registered and serviced but that's it.

I actually found the previous owner's name and addy on a tire receipt in the glovebox. I am going to send him a letter asking for any info and bribe him by sending a $5 Dunkin Donuts gift card. If he doesn't reply than all I hoped I might gleen some knowledge from a history check.

I've used carfax a bunch of times over the years and I've never really been impressed with the info, but it's better than no info. A lot of reports I've read showed some service info. The vin check sites I've visited online have all teased me with saying 17 records found. They may all be yearly inspection stickers and registration dates, or they might have a few useful tidbits. I do know it's 40 bucks for a single report and being that I am a broke 42 year old gone back to college student now, I need to use that $40 for another reman'd caliper that I need more. Know what I mean Vern?

No such thing as free VIN checkers sadly. A Canadian pal o' mine gets them free from work though. Might be able to help you out.

thanks Septimus. Don't put yourself out, but if it's no trouble I'd appreciate it. There use to be an Autocheck loophole where if you clicked on a sample report, up in the URL was the VIN for the car on the sample. If you replaced that VIN with yours it would show you a full report on your VIN. It's since been figured out and fixed.

I am hoping the previous owner won't mind taking the time to email or write me with whatever history he can think of, but you never know how people will react to something like that. I called a PO before on a car he traded in to a dealer that I bought. It had no records and I just wanted an idea of what maintenance items may or may not had been done over the years. When I told him who I was and why I had called (found his number on a service receipt) he was kind of bummed out. His first words were "You know, I traded the car in just so I wouldn't get a phone call like this and have to answer a bunch of questions." lol.

I would hope he was a smart owner and kept receipts of repairs, though if he traded it in he probably trashed it all. From his tone though, sounds like you're not gonna get much out of him. VIN checks only show maintenance if the mechanic(s) he was using reported it...though it doesn't hurt to try. If you message me your VIN, I can pester him tonight about it.

Oh I the upset previous owner I was talking about was one I had called a few years back on a slightly used BMW I bought at a dealership, not the Continental I just picked up on CL 2 weeks ago. I haven't tried to contact the PO of the Conti. I bought the Conti from a guy that "flips" cars for extra money. I didn't know that until I had driven the hour and a half to look at the car, but the guy selling the Conti seemed reasonably normal and was a cop in the town he lived. The info I got from him was that the car had 2 owners. The first was an elderly man and the second was his 60 year old son. He had no clue about records or anything else and had only driven the car from the town he bought it in to his which was about 20 minute ride. Not that any of that and the story he told me about the car or the previous owners is gospel to me, and with the little info I did get I might as well have bought this car at an auction. But, and it's a big but, I talked the seller (the flipper who was getting married the next morning) down to $1100. I couldn't say no to such a good looking well running COMFORTABLE car for that price. Obviously when you buy an older high mileage car for short money, rest assured there will be some issues to fix, but being a poor college kid (@ 42 lol) I am willing to deal with things like that to save some bucks. I really only NEED this car to last me another year or so until I can finish up school and get back to working full time. I think this one should make it fine with a little love and attention.

Members online

No members online now.
Back