Tune up and Mileage question, help desperately needed

monkey302

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Well I have another question that you all may be able to answer. My car is a 92 Mark VII LSC with 90,000 miles. Simply put the mileage sucks, Highway only I get 14, and the engine is all stock. The transmission is shifting into overdrive on the highway and I am not driving aggressively at all. My 88 Crown Victoria that is at least 400 pounds heavier gets better mileage in the city with me flogging it.

I am planning on tuning it up as soon as possible. Besides things like plugs, wires, timing, fluids and filters what else can I replace to increase my fuel economy. I am currently also planning on cleaning my throttle plate but besides that I do not know what else to do. Several members have written in the gas mileage thread that replacing the ACT and ECT really helped. What do these acronyms stand for and where are these parts located?

So to sum up real quick; my mileage sucks what can I do to replace it.
So besides replacing the fluids and filters what else should I do? Will replacing the ECT and ACT help? What are these parts and where are they located? Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you all fro your time and your help.

A typical tune up should be helpful: copper plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, PCV valve, fuel filter. If this does not drastically improve your mileage you may want to start searching for faults. Start by pulling codes. Also you can check on the back pressure of the exhaust in case the catalytics might be clogged. But, start with the simple routine stuff.

If you are in Bel Air Maryland, I'm not far off in Southern Maryland. If you ever need help feel free to ask.

Members online

No members online now.
Back