trying to get my system sounding good

LikeNew02

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Enjoy a wide range of music. Mainly Rock, Electronic, and Hip Hop, and even some country and oldies.

I currently have:

2 way infinity 5x7s in the front doors

3 way polk 5x7s in the rear doors

all 5x7 powered by stock audiophile deck.

sub in trunk that gets signal from rear door speakers.

I normally fade it to the back a little because the highs are to much in the front (even with the bass up a little)

I had these same speakers in my old thunderbird sc connected to an alphine deck and I was pretty happy with the sound. I also had bassblockers hooked up to the 5x7s. I didn't install the bass blockers in the LS.

My Problem:

Hip Hop and R&B music sounds good (esp. the bass), but not great

However, the Rock and Country don't sound good. The vocals don't really come out. The highs and bass sound good, but I am not happy with the mids.

My Question:

Could I solve my problems doing any of the following things?

A. install the bassblockers

B. move the 3 ways 5x7s to the front and the 2 way 5x7s to the back (I put the 2 ways in the front because they have rotating tweets that I can point up)

C.get rid of the 2 way 5x7s in the front and replace them with polk or infinity 6.5 comps

if I installed the comps:
-how to 2 way comps bring out the mids better than 3 way 5x7
-would they sound ok running off the deck (money is tight)
-do they require a mounting plate to fit in 5x7 hole
-where would I put the cross overs (in the door?)

thanks for any suggestions,
(I am sure motts has an opinion on this)

ps I am getting sick of opening up the doors

Alex

on a side note: I used to own a 89 thunderbird turbocoupe and I was able to get the system to sound excellent with minimal $. I am hoping to do the same on my LS. The old turbo couple just had

-pioneer deck(40watt x4)
-2.5 infinity in dash
-5.5 infinity in front doors
-3 way pioneer 6x9 in deck lid

That was my favorite stereo system and it also cost the least. Some people would think that I have a sub in the trunk.

you can install an eq. I just put an ma audio eq then ran the highs and subs off different amps the eq lets me control both amps seperately

Going from that aftermarket Pioneer/Alpine to the stock (even though it's made by Alpine) is a drop. That's likely where your missing the fidelity of the smooth mids and vocal.

Do you have an amp that takes the hi speaker feed directly in or are you using a converter. I've heard that you should always feed your amp with an RCA even if it accepts hi inputs.

I am very much in the same boat. Next week I'm putting in my Polk audio 6.5 components in the front and single 10 in the rear off of a V12 with the stock deck. I'll let you know how it sounds compared to my last car with the same set-up + an Alpine deck.

Let me know if you find a fix or get any good options.

Asim

I'm still pondering over this.. but the eq does sound like a good idea.. i'll post something here shortly..

yea see I also run a recording studio and we use eqs and preamps to boost up signals in mics and line level equipment all the time. so we turned the line outs of the radio into rca's. then hooked em up and brought the gains up. the sound is pretty impressive

heres my new plan

tonight, I moved the 3 way 5x7s to the front. The system is sounding much better

The 2 way 5x7s will not go back in my system. My conclusion: 2 way speakers suck. I will not put any speakers in the rear doors

I will add 3 way 6x9s in the rear decklid power by fosgate amp 40watt x 2

If I am not satisfied with the bass, I will add in my infinity bass link.

What brand 3 way 6x9s should I get infinity,polk,pioneer,...

Thanks for the feedback

I am partial to Alpine. They make a good product in my opinion, they are a little pricey but the sound is worth the money.

Members online

Back