Trouble with mark viii rear coil conversion

Trinity

New LVC Member
Reaction score
My first mark viii - 1998. I bought ORedy brand front and rear air spring conversion to non air suspension. Trouble is, I believe the supplied rear coils are too long as I am struggling mightily even with spring compressors to get springs into their intended place. I managed to get them in but in so doing I cannot manage to get the lower round spring retainer and rubber boot to align where it looks right. Anybody please help. Thanks, Steve.

I had to grind my spring compressors thinner at their claw so I could get them out of the spring once they were in place. It was a bit of a pita but they eventualy went in OK. All I can say is keep trying and dont be afraid to modify the cups if they dont sit right.
I have a picture of the rear installed spring here, Should have the same number of coils as yours.

I agree with the modifying the spring compressors. I have a loaner from the parts store that doesn't clamp the coils well because of the "safety" keeper that is supposed to keep the coil from slipping off but in reality it just gets in the way of a good fit up. Since they have my $55 loaner deposit, I can't modify it if I hope to get my deposit back. The deposit is about 2x the cost of a similar compressor on the Amazon so I ordered a different style compressor and hope that it fits better than the loaner. I have read posts that seem to say that you only need the spring perch on the upper spring top which serves to locate the coil spring. If I could safely eliminate the round spring perch and utilize a flat rubber cup the spring might fit the lower mount better. As it is the top of spring mounting is flat against the round perch to the frame while the lower part of spring seems to want to be at an angle since the spring compressor is not reducing the spring length enough to drop straight into the lower suspension. Hopefully the new amazon spring compressor will drop the spring flat into the lower suspension pocket. ??

I agree with the modifying the spring compressors. I have a loaner from the parts store that doesn't clamp the coils well because of the "safety" keeper that is supposed to keep the coil from slipping off but in reality it just gets in the way of a good fit up. Since they have my $55 loaner deposit, I can't modify it if I hope to get my deposit back. The deposit is about 2x the cost of a similar compressor on the Amazon so I ordered a different style compressor and hope that it fits better than the loaner. I have read posts that seem to say that you only need the spring perch on the upper spring top which serves to locate the coil spring. If I could safely eliminate the round spring perch and utilize a flat rubber cup the spring might fit the lower mount better. As it is the top of spring mounting is flat against the round perch to the frame while the lower part of spring seems to want to be at an angle since the spring compressor is not reducing the spring length enough to drop straight into the lower suspension. Hopefully the new amazon spring compressor will drop the spring flat into the lower suspension pocket. ??
Finally got the springs installed without a spring compressor. I just removed the LCA bolts and pried the LCA down low enough to get the springs in.

Members online

No members online now.
Back