Transmission problems on 2004 LS

mrhague

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2004 LS automatic with low miles. Ever since I got the car, it shifts hard into third gear. All the other gears are normal. It was getting worse, so I took it in. The dealer replaced many parts, but the problem continues. Is this normal? Thank you

Better hard than soft. Wait a minute...that goes a couple of different ways...

If it's severe, it's not right. If it's just a good firm shift, I wouldn't worry about it. But since it sounds like it's getting worse, I would want it fixed. Many times, this is a software issue too...not just solenoids.

I have read on this site that sometimes the valve body needs to be replaced too and that sometimes it takes a second or third replacement of the valve body or solenoids.

My 2004 with 14,000 miles on it had the problem in March and the Lincoln dealer took care of it for free under the customer satisfaction program.

So far I am satisfied but the LS does seem to shift a bit firm if you are acclerating, slowing down and then accelerating again just before an upshift. For example, from my house I drive up a gentle hill to a T intersection with no stop. I slow down as I come to the intersection and if clear I give ti gas again. Sometimes if I catch the shift just right the tranny will shift somewhat harder than normal. I have noticed this hard shift on other cars in similar situations. Before I had the tranny fixed the shift was so hard it felt like I got rearended.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

take it back in and tell them you want it fixed.. make sure you get a loaner.. and hott rod it..

Hey I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM!!!!

I have an 04 LS. I just purchased it, it has 23000 miles. Now every once in a while it shifts really hard into 4th gear. Also After the car has been driven for a while, I wcome to a stop. Now when I put it in park the in reverse the whole car jerks. I mean I know a lot of cars do this when the gear is changed but I mean this is severe sometimes, to the point where your head jerks. I mean I just bought the car I know its used but I think its a bunch of bull that something like this goes on. ANY INPUT?> IDEAS?. :V

LLLL said:
Hey I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM!!!!

I have an 04 LS. I just purchased it, it has 23000 miles. Now every once in a while it shifts really hard into 4th gear. Also After the car has been driven for a while, I wcome to a stop. Now when I put it in park the in reverse the whole car jerks. I mean I know a lot of cars do this when the gear is changed but I mean this is severe sometimes, to the point where your head jerks. I mean I just bought the car I know its used but I think its a bunch of bull that something like this goes on. ANY INPUT?> IDEAS?. :V
My LS has had the transmission fixed (solenoid packs/valve body) and it shifts fine now. Before, it had a delay going into drive/reverse. However, one thing I have noticed about these cars is that they do have a tendancy to be a little harsh on the drive/reverse shift. I would assume that as long as there isn't a delay, you should be fine........I could be wrong though, but that is just what my gut is telling me.

My way around the problem of the tranmission jerking (not a delayed engagement) is to leave my foot on the brake when going from drive to reverse or from reverse to drive rather than taking my foot off the brake as soon as I get out of the gear and into the other one. I would venture to guess this puts less stress on the transmission because the parts aren't getting jerked one way and then slammed back the other.......make sense? I would find it equal to slamming the car into to drive and before the tranny is ready, mashing the gas/

Yeah that makes sense. I think I am going to bring it into the dealership anyways though. I mean I have the warranty and I get a loaner so I might as well use it and have some fun with it :wrench

That's a good idea, if the transmission self destructs after your warranty period, several documented visits (be sure to keep the paperwork) of transmission problems prior to the warranty's end will go a long way toward getting the problem fixed later at little or no expense.

mrhague said:
I have a 2004 LS automatic with low miles. Ever since I got the car, it shifts hard into third gear. All the other gears are normal. It was getting worse, so I took it in. The dealer replaced many parts, but the problem continues. Is this normal? Thank you
You should take it to the dealership, just in case, so it'll be documented, but give it some time.

I had a similar complaint with mine when I first got it, but it just took the car some time to learn my driving style. That's the beauty of these electronic monsters; it takes some time, but they adapt to you, rather than you having to adapt to them.

It's still not perfect at times (sometimes it'll hit a gear hard if I back off after getting on it, and I want the damn thing to downshift when I want it to downshift, not when the computer gets around to it), but it's improved tremendously since I took delivery.

FWIW, it had 14.5K miles on the clock when I bought it in March, and it now has 22.3K miles, but it only took a few weeks for it to improve itself.

BTW, how's the manual tranny swap coming, JES?

You see though I forgot to mention something. Another reason that I think there is something wrong is b.c if I am on an incline and I am in drive the car will roll backwards. Now it the same if I am on a decline and the car is in reverse the car will roll fowards. Now I have had manual cars my entire life but I have driven enough automatics to know that you should not roll down a hill if your in gear. SOMETHING HAS TO BE WRONG< RIGHT????/

I have looked on previous threads and saw a lot of complaints of this same proble,. Now I am going to bring my car in by the end of this week. Now what should I tell them guys?

check other threads this is a tsb for solenoid/pcm reflash/additive-just did mine yesterday,very happy!!!

SoonerLS said:
BTW, how's the manual tranny swap coming, JES?

It's on hold until I get some cash flow for parts. I hate being one of those, "I'm gonna..." people, but after getting stiffed by a client and having to shell out my auto parts fund to buy the kids school supplies and uniforms (talk about highway robbery), I have no excess cash to "flow" for parts.

Maybe after I start bartending, I'll get the $$ to buy the pedal box and pedals, cross memember and such.

JES_LS said:
It's on hold until I get some cash flow for parts. I hate being one of those, "I'm gonna..." people, but after getting stiffed by a client and having to shell out my auto parts fund to buy the kids school supplies and uniforms (talk about highway robbery), I have no excess cash to "flow" for parts.

Maybe after I start bartending, I'll get the $$ to buy the pedal box and pedals, cross memember and such.

You may want to consider getting into a new ride...I'm not trying to be a **** but if cash is tight this thing is going to eat you alive....

i has a waranty take it back to the dealership and get it fixed and if it keeps like that then keep herasing them at the dealship and if they dont do anything better take it to another dealship

beaups said:
You may want to consider getting into a new ride...I'm not trying to be a **** but if cash is tight this thing is going to eat you alive....
Why do you say that, right now it is running and gets my wife back and forth to work everyday. Plus it moves the family around on the weekend.

I have enough $ to keep the car running and in good shape. What I do not have the cash flow for is all the parts to swap the automatic for a manual trans in one purchase.

That is the real hold up right now.
It will happen its just a matter of when.

Sorry wasn't for you, I think I placed my post in the wrong spot!

These cars are getting very affordable used (my 03 V8 with every option including nav under $20K) and I'm seeing some on the board and some on the road picking these cars up with NO idea how expensive some of the repairs can be. Case in point, bought mine in May already replaced steering gear ($1K), need the tranny fixed ($1K), new shocks coming ($300 if I do myself), and I'll need tires soon (~$800). That's over $3K in a VERY short period of time. Issue I'm seeing here (and again not with your post, I messed up) is that people are picking these cars up pretty cheap with NO idea what's ahead nor the means to keep them running properly (ie not even putting the right gas in). There are quite a few 18-20 year olds on this site (no offense there either, I'm not too much older) and I do wonder if they realize what they have gotten themselves into. that's all....:)

Members online

No members online now.
Back