Throttle Body Discussion

DeviLSh

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Bringing back and old topic here because I want to hear if anyone has thoughts on this. Recently um.... I dropped my stock throttle body so I am looking into replacements. I somewhat committed to the thought that no upgrade was worth it, but have recently revisited this idea as my car is not really a daily driver and I am willing to accept some compromise/trade offs.

This thread discusses that a stock F150 TB indeed works on our cars, but there isn't really a size increase benefit to it. As both LS and F150 TB's have a 70mm throttle plate but different before & after dimensions, making the oem TB swap moot.

I took measurements of the stock LS throttle and intake elbow. It is a tapered design but then flares back out before meeting the elbow. So it isn't a true taper in that it does not maintain or reduce an ID after the plate. It goes back up before meeting the elbow... see below:

Intake (K&N) I.D. = 82mm
TB Inlet I.D. = 82mm
TB Plate O.D. = 70mm
TB Outlet I.D = 75mm
Intake Elbow I.D. = 82mm

The path form air filter to intake mani elbow starts and ends at 82mm, but contracts in the middle. I get the velocity boost/venturi effect of the taper, but why flare it back out? And why not bring the TB up to 82, vs 75 to match the elbow inlet? Curious what Ford/Lincoln/Jag decided if anyone wants to speculate.

My initial and novice thoughts are:

-Power/Torque requirements
-Velocity or flow based inherent design to stock system components
- Drivability / throttle sensitivity (Lincoln customer?)
- Sound (Lincoln customer?)
- something beyond my comprehension - mpg, atomization, forcing the air to be centered... I am not an engineer here.

Replacements:
Stock LS replacements are from $150-350 depending on where you go and what reman/brand you trust. F150 is a bit cheaper and more readily available. Some Jag S-Types look to have different connectors.

BBK Offers two version for the F150, a 75mm (part# 1758) and an 80mm (part#1759) for the 4.6 and 5.4 F150's, respectively. They also offer a 70mm V6 stang that looks like it would work but apparently the 3.9 TB exceeds this in size. Maybe a non starter there. All three of these appear to be parallel in nature, and not a tapered design. Stock F150 ones are tapered, so BBK made some sort of decision to not carry that through.

So - i've reached out to BBK to see if this taper vs non taper went into their design intentionally. I thing regardless of what we speculate or deduce from their response or our own hypothesis, its going to be hard to say "well what works on the mustang/f150/other engine, will likely work on the LS in the same way." But, Maybe... its worth a shot.

Questions I think Im looking to get answers to:
1) Is a dyno the best/only way to measure this with a swap. Or is a MAF reading or other data log a good indicator for performance change
2) While it may not produce better hp&tq, maybe under the curve, throttle response, sound, and certain other positives can be gained outside of peak gains
3) If there are side effects, but potential - is it something that can be tuned with the SCT or a tuner?
4) Why is the OEM design a contraction design? Taper --> Expansion
5) Has anyone attempted installing either the 75 or 80mm unit ALREADY on a gen2 LS and have any feedback?

For reference:
BBK Product Page

EDIT: Also, as an alternative to a new unit, this guy modifies ford units by porting, and modifying the plate bar & hardware to improve flow past the valve itself. Wonder if this would work for the stock LS TB (and why BBK doesnt do the same thing to their plates?)

CordovaMotorSports.com

Members online

No members online now.
Back