Thinking of buying a Continental

Ozman

LVC Member
Reaction score
I currently am driving a 01 LS8. I have had it for a year and absolutely love it and all the Lincoln perks. I am getting married next month and my fiance needs a vehicle. Between paying for the wedding and honeymoon, I am a little strapped for cash. I didn't think I was going to be able to buy her a car until a few months after we got married. However, an old family friend is selling her late husband's 1990 Continental. She kept it for a few years for sentimental reasons but now just wants to get rid of it, so she only wants $500 for it. It has 130,000 miles, and she said it's in great condition except the a/c has a few probs. When I go look at it, what do I need to look for and ask about? What are some problem spots for that model? And what are your overall reactions/opinions to that particular Continental and the price she is asking? Any info or advice would be great. Thanks!

Advice on Continental

Hey Ozman, I can give you some in depth advice on that Continental.
The main thing you need to worry about with these cars is the air springs in the back. When they fail, not only is the resulting loss in ride comfort dreadful, but expensive to fix. I've heard around $3500 for the whole job. The good news is that with the car's mileage, chances are the original owner has already incurred that expense. Ask them about that. Other than that, these cars are quite solid. Esentially they are built on a stretched version of the Taurus/Sable platform, with the trusty 3.8L V-6 and front-drive. The asking price of $500 is a steal, and if you figure about another $500 to fix the A/C, for a grand you'll have a darn nice car. As long as its had proper maintenance, no rust and a decent interior, it's a good buy. The fact of being built on that particular platform is a plus, as by 1990 it was no longer experimental, but quite trusted.

Ozman said:
I currently am driving a 01 LS8. I have had it for a year and absolutely love it and all the Lincoln perks. I am getting married next month and my fiance needs a vehicle. Between paying for the wedding and honeymoon, I am a little strapped for cash. I didn't think I was going to be able to buy her a car until a few months after we got married. However, an old family friend is selling her late husband's 1990 Continental. She kept it for a few years for sentimental reasons but now just wants to get rid of it, so she only wants $500 for it. It has 130,000 miles, and she said it's in great condition except the a/c has a few probs. When I go look at it, what do I need to look for and ask about? What are some problem spots for that model? And what are your overall reactions/opinions to that particular Continental and the price she is asking? Any info or advice would be great. Thanks!

500 is a good deal mine cost 800 i have a 1990 Continental. I converted it from air ride to coil springs. didn't have the money to fix the air ride.

Those cars actually have 4 wheel air struts. The gen after the v6's went to 2 front struts air (electronic shock/strut dampening) 2 rear air springs rear shocks (electonicly controlled) The shocks probably have fluid with some type of special fluid with metal of some sort floating in it magnetically controlled. They then dumped the front air struts due to the strain on the front end often knocking them out. A design like on the rear may have allowed 4 wheel air more dependibly but required redoing the front suspension mounts. Which would have required too much effort to retain air considering that when loaded the rear bears most of the brunt. Though essentially commercial grade air spring and shock setups are becomming popular in custom hot-rods and muscle cars. It looks damn near like a semi style double bag with a shock up the middle. Or some use a 4 wheel air suspension with standard type shocks and air springs either individual or front/rear control.

That sounds like a good deal but I think those continentals are a POS. You couldn't give me one. The air ride is the most unreliable ever to be in a Lincoln. The 3.8 V6 is known for blowing head gaskets. Front drive and a V6 aren't very Lincoln if you ask me. But, then again, $500 for a gussied up Taurus isn't a bad deal.

That gen of contis had a suspension that was like riding on a cloud and ridin on rails on paper. However it as many ideas didn't work when actually created. The 3.8 probably needs very regular care of its cooling system to prevent the apparently nearly inevitable head gasket problem. Northstar cadi's also can have this problem if coolant is not maintained regularly. Something like redline waterwetter and a say 40/60 coolant/distilled water mix may help. As the redline helps the coolant/water better pull heat from the engine and to prevent hotspots which can actually prevent coolant from cooling the already hot spot. It won't drop the temp gauge on the car as it doesn't do that it if anything actually will warm the car up quicker as it is pulling the heat away faster from the engine and into the coolant. However the car /thermostat is still designed to run at a certain temp say with its 195 deg thermostat. So it will try and run at that same temp regardless. I've heard to run the diesel version of the redline in a streetcar. As some coolants espically where you use a bit much coolant/vs water can have a bit of a gunk/gel like bubbles end up on the surface in the resevoir or possibly in the top of the radiator as well. I haven't had this problem with my prestone extended coolant, distilled water and redline.

Fyi on the next gen of conti 95+ my dad got ticked at his mechanic calling his 97 a dressed up taurus. So he said yeah look underneath it. Guy couldn't believe it rear dampners, electronically controlled shocks, air springs, braces etc... everywhere. Besides that even the dealer didn't realize the shocks aren't even mounted in the same local. He was told they are accessed from behind the rear seats, eeh they are in the trunk, nor are the rear dampners accessable there. Access is from under the car behind the rear wheels.

But for $500 even if you take it and do minor maintnance/tune-ups. If it'll pass inspection you'd probably be able to private sale it for $1000 at least.

Thanks guys. It was in great shape and had all the options (signature, cd player, sunroof, etc). It doesn't compare to my LS, but it is definitely not a Taurus. Rides great and doesn't handle like a boat. The V-6 is a joke but it kept 80 mph on the highway on good sized hills. For $500, I felt like I couldn't pass on it, so I bought it. I could probably let my fiance drive it for a year until she graduates, then sell it for a grand and actually make money on it. If I bought her a $6000 malibu or taurus or intrigue, i would probably lose $1000, have the same lack of power, and about 1/10th the options.

I Had an 89....

...Buyer Beware, but good luck if you already bought it.

I had problems with EVERY system known to this car. Three transmissions, two FULL sets of air struts, head gaskets, A/C, etc.

It was long before the coil strut replacement kits.

It was a pretty car and rode nice, just sucked because it cost me $12,500+ to maintain it for the 4 years/103,000 miles I put on it.

Ha! 1989-1991 where lemons! I had (and I say HAD) a 89 that I just sold for $500 and it was worth the money to get rid of it. I spent $5000 fixing it and trying to get it up to snuf. As was said earlier, if the car is constantly maintained, it can be a nice car. Unlike a Town Car that needs little maintenance and will run for 300k or more with little work, the 3.8l will leave you wishing you'd bought a Mark or TC. Best of luck with the car and take good care of it, or you will never see $1000 out of it. Read a lot on the boards about the problems others have had to know what MIGHT happen, so you will be prepared.

95CrownVictoriaP74 said:
...Buyer Beware, but good luck if you already bought it.

I had problems with EVERY system known to this car. Three transmissions, two FULL sets of air struts, head gaskets, A/C, etc.

It was long before the coil strut replacement kits.

It was a pretty car and rode nice, just sucked because it cost me $12,500+ to maintain it for the 4 years/103,000 miles I put on it.

I had a 91 it was in terible shap with 145,000 miles i got 1,700 for it
from the insurance company you know what i did
i drove it into a
Fed Ex truck the day after i found out i woudln,t get more then 300 dollars from any one for it

How in the f*&k did you get money for doing something like that? I mean, wasn't it your fault? Tell me some more, I want to know how to get some money out of my Cougar!

well yeah it was my foual but still i have full Covrage Insurace and i had a 500 dollar deductable on collision
so they payed
but in august when the policy renewed last year it when up 500 dollar more for the year but i didn,t mind
that how
all you have to do is have a good insurance company make shur the car is gona come to a total out atleast 80% dammage or more
then just take what they offer

That has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Why would you have full coverage on a '91 Cont. in the first place? Every six months you would be paying more insurance than the car is worth. Secondly, the subsequent increase in insurance premiums from a claim will result in a much bigger loss than the initial $1,200 gain.

Members online

No members online now.
Back