Thinking of buying a 98 Deville

wildrage

LVC Member
Reaction score
I found a 1998 Deville on Craigslist with 62k on it asking 3,200. I checked out the car and talked to the guy on the phone, and cosmetically the car is in prestine shape, besides the headlights that have condensation and it looks like the dash was taken apart at one time (could have been heater core).

I ran a Carfax, and it comes up clean, with 1 owner - regsistered in 1998 with 30 miles and retitled last month with 62k.

I checked the oil and coolant - both seemed fine. I gotta be honest, though - Northstars scare the hell out of me.

The car is for sale at a local gas station by the owner (of the station), who also sells cars on the side. He has a dealer's license and can even issue me a temp plate.

1. Does this seem like a good deal?

2. What else should I be looking for when examining the car?

northstar...bad choice...unless its black on black...sexy...but northstars are powerful...290hp or something but you should have a deep wallet. If you have to have a deville search for a 94 95 same style almost but with the 4.9L...bulletproof motor...alot less hp but alot more reliable. just my 2cents. Just because it has topped up coolant doesnt mean the head isen't blown...be aware start it up and let it idle see what happends then when warm get a buddy to stand behind while you rev up, see what smoke comes out.

My first choice was a late 90's eldo but like you the engines scare the ish outa me. And im not a huge fan of the interior...Comfy cars though reguardless of model.

gr8 cars. Check for oil leaks(oil pump manifold)engine out job to fix. Let it warm up and put the defrost on check for any smell of coolant.Check out the on board message center and make sure everything will work (memory seats mirrors go into position etc with key fob). Check the alarm works and that the car will start after it is tripped!!Also check for stored codes. The Biggest problem with caddys is electrical, usualy cause by the alarm/imobiliser

Put it on a lift and check out the suspension!!! $1100 per corner plus labor for struts!!

Thanks for the input guys. I decided not to get it. The car just looked like it was messed with too much. Dash wasn't put back togethercorrectly, taillight assembly had some of that spray in foam insulator on it. There was also a bottle of coolant and oil in the backseat. Fail.

buy it. northstars are perfect motors up until about 90 thousand miles or up. if you look around, the headgasket problems will start at arouind 95000 miles maybe more. i have a 98 with 73000 miles, car is reliable as ever. as long as you maintain it, it will last forever. by the way, 3200 for that car with those miles a a DEAL.

Thanks for the input guys. I decided not to get it. The car just looked like it was messed with too much. Dash wasn't put back togethercorrectly, taillight assembly had some of that spray in foam insulator on it. There was also a bottle of coolant and oil in the backseat. Fail.

sorry didnt sdee this post.

Nine years later, I wonder if he still has to option to pass or not?

Members online

No members online now.
Back