Thinking About Getting a '91 BB Mark VII... (Please Read)

A MAck

New LVC Member
Reaction score
My dad recently alerted me to a 'prestine' 1991 Mark VII BB that is for sale. Although i've primarily been looking at sport coupes, The Mark VII caught my eye for a number or reasons (HO v8, v8 sound, luxury, RWD), and i am definately interested in getting it, however i want to know alittle bit more about Mark VII's from actual owners.

Now basically for the past year i've been looking for my first car--(right now i'm driving a minivan until i get my own car---so you can imagine how much i want a car of my own---but i am still going to be patient and make the right decision). I've focused mainly on 3rd gen F-bodies (Formulas, Trans Ams, & Irocs), MK3 (1986-1992) Supras, and i looked at one 1996 Grand Prix GTP. I want to know how the Mark VII's compare to 3rd gen (305 TPI) F bodies, as well as NA Supras. Performance-wise, i know they all have about the same 0-60 times, but other than that...i dont know how they compare at all.

Another thing i'd like to know about, is how the Mark VII responds to light mods. I see that most of you guys have exhaust and intake- which would be all i would do to ANY car that i got anyway- and i would like to know how the car responds to that. Also, the interior on these cars has alot of electronics and wiring and im wondering how prone the electric stuff is to breaking. THe last thing i will ask is how long will the stock air suspension last and how reliable is it. My dad said once it goes the thing basically becomes a no-handling low rider (and obviously i dont want that).

Sorry for asking so much, but i figured because this board is slower than most, i will ask all of my questions up front. Any input/answers will be greatly appricaited.

BTW, i was just wondering how easy it is to smoke the tires on these things! haha

Very easy to cook tires on one of these things. Mods are cheap and readily availiable, as the drivetrain and chassis is the same as any 5.0 Mustang with an automatic. The BB edition doesnt have the sport tuned suspension or seats, and it has a rather uninformative digital dash. The LSC is the sport model, with the same drivetrain, nice bolsters on the seats and the analouge dash. In stock form the engines are rated 225 hp, but if you know much of anything about Mustangs, you know that there are a lot of possibilities for upgrades. Pretty much any of the stuff aimed at Mustang owners for engine or suspension mods will work on a Mark 7.
If the air suspension goes, yes, the car is nearly undriveable, however it isnt that hard to repair, and really doesn't cost all that much if you shop around. There are some links somewhere on here to arnott's and bagmasters, which can get you the air bags at a reasonable price. The simplest test for it is to just go look at the car after it's been sitting a day or so. If one corner sags, then the bag is probably leaking and needs replacement. Bags should be replaced on both sides if one is leaking to maintain proper control. That, and if one bag goes, the one on the other side can't be far behind.
Overall, they're cool cars with a lot of whiz-bang features not found on most others (check out that tripminder!) but keep in mind this is a 14 year old car and it's going to develop issues, but probably not more so than any other car of this vintage.

Oh, and welcome!

gadget73 said:
Very easy to cook tires on one of these things. Mods are cheap and readily availiable, as the drivetrain and chassis is the same as any 5.0 Mustang with an automatic. The BB edition doesnt have the sport tuned suspension or seats, and it has a rather uninformative digital dash. The LSC is the sport model, with the same drivetrain, nice bolsters on the seats and the analouge dash. In stock form the engines are rated 225 hp, but if you know much of anything about Mustangs, you know that there are a lot of possibilities for upgrades. Pretty much any of the stuff aimed at Mustang owners for engine or suspension mods will work on a Mark 7.
If the air suspension goes, yes, the car is nearly undriveable, however it isnt that hard to repair, and really doesn't cost all that much if you shop around. There are some links somewhere on here to arnott's and bagmasters, which can get you the air bags at a reasonable price. The simplest test for it is to just go look at the car after it's been sitting a day or so. If one corner sags, then the bag is probably leaking and needs replacement. Bags should be replaced on both sides if one is leaking to maintain proper control. That, and if one bag goes, the one on the other side can't be far behind.
Overall, they're cool cars with a lot of whiz-bang features not found on most others (check out that tripminder!) but keep in mind this is a 14 year old car and it's going to develop issues, but probably not more so than any other car of this vintage.

Oh, and welcome!

Now compared to you i know practically nothing about Mark VIIs, but i was reading on various websites that 91 was the first year that the Bill Blass edition got the same suspension, tires, and wheels of the LSC. Are there still those interior differences that you mentioned in that year??? i'm not really sure?

my first car was an 86 IROC and i have owned a ton of other f-bodies over the year's and i now own an 89 LSC. there is a big difference between the two as far as performance is concerned. the lincoln is bigger and heavier than the camaro\fbird, and is not as nimble in the corner's. but that is the new challenge that i'm now taking on. to make the lincoln handle,accelerate and brake just as good if not better than other performance car's of it's day. don't get me wrong but with the camaro, part's are easier and cheaper to find than the linc's and i do plan on owning another f-body someday after my project is complete. but the lincoln BB and LSC are great project car's and not everyone has one. they made alot of camaro's and mustang's and there seem's to be one on every corner. i choose to be different.i enjoy pulling up to stoplight's in a car that few people suspect has good performance and be able to hold my own.but what ever you do just make it your own decision but i think you will enjoy a bill blass or LSC.that FIVE-O is a world class engine and probebly one of the best small block's ever made by any manufacturer period. certainly better than the GM 5.0 TPI and just as good as the 350 but in a smaller package. this is my first venture with a ford product and i have yet to be dissapointed. i just fell in love with that car by just getting aquainted.

A MAck said:
Now compared to you i know practically nothing about Mark VIIs, but i was reading on various websites that 91 was the first year that the Bill Blass edition got the same suspension, tires, and wheels of the LSC. Are there still those interior differences that you mentioned in that year??? i'm not really sure?

Honestly I'm not sure. I'm not super in to the Mark 7, this is all stuff I've gathered from other people and my own experiences seeing these cars. I like them, but don't own one, so I've not been motivated to learn all the fine details. Oldschool1 on here would be the man to ask about subtle M7 differences.

IMHO you should find LSC....you will be happier.
As for :q:q:q:q that goes wrong or that will need fixing after you buy it.....the list is HUGE.

Hit the LoL site for more info on buying/fixing factory stuff. www.Lincolnsonline.com
Hit the FvC site for hot rod MarkVII stuff. www.Fordvschevy.com
Use this site (LvC) for fancy/flashy/optimistic/showy info.

Members online

No members online now.
Back