The wierdest thing about starting

mikeyp5d

New LVC Member
Reaction score
'94 Deville

It's so bizarre...Sometimes, she'll start with no problem, and sometimes I'll put in the key and turn-and the engine wont even atempt to turn over (but all the dash lights and everything go on when i turn the key one notch). eventually, it will turn over, but is this something electrical? what the heck it it!!??

I think I remember this indicates an ignition switch fault or a chip problem in the key. You may have to replace the ignition switch or key? I'll see if I can verify this or can find anything else concerning your problem.

Are you getting any messages indicating the VATS has disabled the starter?

If not, it might be the starter solenoid not engaging by it's own fault. You can test it with a test light or volt meter on the small wire (usually purple) to the solenoid while a helper turns the key. If you're getting power to the solenoid and you have good connections otherwise, including ground, then you've found you're problem. The problem with 'sometimes' is catching it when it's acting up.

Do a search for 'start' in the Cadillac Forums and you'll find some threads that 'codewise' replied to. I think that's what 'MAC1' is refering to. I have had an ignition switch do the same thing, but it took a little while to track down.

Good luck! Keep us updated!

thanks for the responses! i have printed your comments and will give them to the mechanic, so hopefully they'll aid him in fixing the issue.

Just out of curiosity, the little chip in the middle of my key feels a bit loose...could this be a possible cause of the problem? It has a little give if i push on it.

Does anyone know what you must do to replace the key?

the little chip is actually just a resistor, but it should not wiggle. Try some electrical cleaner on the resistor, and spray some in the ignition. You won't hurt it, don't worry.....that is what it is for. It must make good contact to satisfy the circuit, so sometimes it is just dirt/build-up. May be your problem. If the key is worn badly, you may want to replace it. There are 15 different resistors in these keys though, so you need to make sure you get the right one. If you are handy with a volt meter you can check the ohm rating of the resistor yourself and order a key blank off ebay. But if not, just get one from a dealer. The wrong one will result in it not starting your car. I bought one on Ebay, but had a hell of a time getting someone to cut it for me as they say GM instructs them not too. I finally found a girl at Kmart who did not care and cut it for me.

Chip fault. In a pinch lick it and then scratch it on something like the edge of another key. Dry and reinsert. You should start using the other key and order a replacement in case it is an internal fault. These things will make a date into a nightmare.

if the chip in the key is bad the digital display will read starting disabled wait 3 minutes.
When you try to start do you hear a clicking noise?
if so then it is your solenoid.
The whole starter wouldnt have to be replaced unless it drags when you try to start it.
clean the chip and clean the contacts inside the ignition cylinder.
I had the same problem with mine.
when the solenoid got too hot, it would just click until it cooled off and would then start again.
replaced solenoid and no more problems.
good luck

Members online

No members online now.
Back