The Octane Project

Thanks everyone, for your interest in my project.

There has been a medical crisis in the family so things had to be put on
hold for several weeks. Otherwise, the build project is still on track.

All brake parts have been ordered and are sitting in my garage awaiting installation.
The new shoes with pics will be up soon.

I want to improve my 60mph to 0 braking distance down to
111 feet or better. Road&Track and other automotive publications seem
to accept 60 to zero as a standard for braking measurement so I am going
to use that as my test criteria.

I found a seldom used, straight and flat cul-de-sac road near my home where I
can safely make 60mph to zero passes without endangering anyone.

After installation and my test runs, I will share with you, the results, should any
of you are curious to see what you can expect from a particular set of brake mod
or upgrade will do for your Mark. For comparison, your 60 to zero braking
distance may vary from mine depending on the actual weight of your car, your
tire, weather, temperature, road consistency and other factors.

While this upgrade has been done a zillion times with head snapping results,
I am sure you already know what is expected from a mod like this from a Mark. I
will try to put up numbers to validate these mods specifically to our Marks.

Subsequent 60mph to zero brake upgrade results will be documented with each
of the following setup;

> All factory brake setup with factory 225/60 tires as my base measurement.

> All factory brake setup with wider 275/40 tires on all four corners.

> Factory brake calipers, upgrade to Stainless Steel brake lines on 225/60 tires.

> Factory brake calipers with upgraded Stainless Steel brake lines on wider 275/40 tires.

> Factory calipers, SS brake lines, upgrade to ATE blue racing brake fluid on 225/60 tires.

> Factory calipers, SS brake lines, with upgraded ATE blue racing brake
fluid on wider 275/40 tires.

> Cobra calipers, SS brake lines, ATE blue, upgrade to 13" D/S front rotors,
stay with factory 10.25" rear rotors on 275/40 tires.

> Cobra calipers, SS brake lines, ATE blue, upgraded 13" D/S front, upgrade to larger 11.65" D/S rear rotors on 275/40. tires.

Stay tuned for the results.

Ren

Thanks for the interest bluebmw. Taking a few more pictures soon. Some of the parts I needed
have recently become available so I'll be able to get a few more things done.
I'll be updating soon. So far, I've been driving her around without any problems.

There have been a number of wrecks and collisions in my area so the LEOs are
everpresent moreso than ever. Postponing my speed runs for another time until things cool down a bit.

Thanks for the interest bluebmw. Taking a few more pictures soon. Some of the parts I needed
I'll be updating soon. So far, I've been driving her around without any problems.

everpresent moreso than ever. Postponing my speed runs for another time until things cool down a bit.

'speed runs' that sounds fun :shifty::D

updates

any updates?

Like most everyone here, upgrades to my car has been put on hold
until weather warms up a bit. Before work on the brakes begin, I'd like
to take some base numbers first so I can compare numbers if any
real improvements are made.

Speed runs in my local area are out of the question now.
The city has decided to install more traffic lights at the
stretch of road by my house as well as having increased
LEO patrols in the area.

So now, I am looking into downloading an Accelerometer app
to my tablet that can memorize Gravitational force, miles traveled,
speed and times.

Or maybe invest on a stand alone unit like the
G-force Automotive meter.

-Ren

G-force cellphone app

Well, I went ahead and downloaded a free G-force/Accelerometer called Accelmeter-3D Vector by Plaincode for my cellphone.

http://www.ifreeware.net/download-accelmeter--3d-vector-accelerometer-free-level.html

I may end up downloading another nice app called DashCommand at a later date. With all the upgrades we do to our cars, it is nice to see real numbers what our butt-o-meter is telling us.

To mount the cell phone just below the rear view mirror, I bought this fully articulating windshield mount by Ram mount. It has good construction and its very easy to setup. The cell phone can be removed when you are through using the mount. If your cell phone has a camera in the back, with this mount, you can use the cellphone to shoot video as you drive.

f1a11f71-bd22-4fcb-8c2c-9ad1bb6084d6.jpg

Full view photo of Octane

An evening shot of my car with the perfect stance. Rides smooth, slightly firmer than factory but there is no hint of bouncyness. Headlamp lens are still crystal clear .

image-8.jpg

Night photography adds a challenging but magical experience to any subject and this one is no exception. Car takes center stage as background elements adds just enought interest. No photoshop were involved in any photos here. Octane has come a long way from a non-op, abandoned at a field, to where she is today!

image-4.jpg

3 Rear quarter views, below, highlights varying details from a night shoot from the tire to fender clearance to the chrome oval exhaust tips. The car color is actually Opal Opalescent (WK) but with the sides being lit with 4300K HID, it looks like Ivory Pearlescent.

da73b8a2-3dff-4261-a75e-bd351d3579b3.jpg

Image is not as bright with lighting pulled back a little.

To see a larger image, click on any photo in this segment. This takes you to my photobucket host, then click 2x on the magnifying glass icon on the lower right corner. This shows you an enlarged image for a better view.

932ec0fe-196e-4b2a-b65e-5d5d5343ab4e.jpg

This is one of my favorite. The multi-color pattern on the side of the car was created when I had it lit with my LED lighting as a passing cars yellow halogen headlight cast shadows from trees nearby. I might submit this photo for a future calendar issue.

9302f150-f39c-4edf-a8b0-044e6bae8aa2.jpg

At night, the wheels takes on a black-chrome effect. Brake upgrades have not been done at the time of the shoot. Picture below was lit with 5000K LED Photo lighting shows more of the actual color.

637b0f46-dc0b-4032-a5dd-b7381f1d1fd1.jpg

Thanks for looking. I've added more pics in this segment since my original post. Hope you all enjoyed the photos!

That last shot looks awsome!...who am I kidding they all look good actually!

Members online

Back