Test drove an LS yesterday, slightly disappointed

captainalias

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
As everyone knows, I was thinking of getting an '02 LS after all the hype, and test drove an '05 at the dealership yesterday which they had for considerable markdown, ~ $33K pretty loaded.

I was a bit disappointed by 2 things- the trunk is really shallow (even worse than my sister's Mark VIII!) and interior volume is rather small, especially for rear passengers with the really big hump running down the middle. Lincoln could've done a better job designing the interioir methinks, since the LS is a pretty big car.

However, the LS did drive nicely- silky smooth shifting, muted rumbling of the V-8, good handling, etc... Just not quite as excited as before. :( Also, the '05, in terms of interioir fit and finish looked rather poor (too much plastic and 'satin' palstic on the dash)- the '02s by comparison are muchnicer- abundance of wood trim everywhere.

Well, just my 2 cents... I was getting ready to go to a dealer auction in a few weeks, but now Im not so sure.

Wow! I thought my LS had a LOT more usable trunk space than my Mark. Furthermore, the fold down rear seat makes it amazing! I hauled a 9 foot sun shade in mine once!!

You have to remember the design purpose of this car. If a roomy interior is what you want, you need a Town Car. If you want a performance sedan, it's this car. It sounds like you are asking for the features of two different cars here.

2001LS8Sport said:
Wow! I thought my LS had a LOT more usable trunk space than my Mark. Furthermore, the fold down rear seat makes it amazing! I hauled a 9 foot sun shade in mine once!!

You have to remember the design purpose of this car. If a roomy interior is what you want, you need a Town Car. If you want a performance sedan, it's this car. It sounds like you are asking for the features of two different cars here.
very well said....personaly i think the cabin of the ls espesially the 03+ is one of the best of any car I have seen

captainalias said:
I was a bit disappointed by 2 things- the trunk is really shallow (even worse than my sister's Mark VIII!) and interior volume is rather small, especially for rear passengers with the really big hump running down the middle. Lincoln could've done a better job designing the interioir methinks, since the LS is a pretty big car.

However, the LS did drive nicely- silky smooth shifting, muted rumbling of the V-8, good handling, etc... Just not quite as excited as before. :( Also, the '05, in terms of interioir fit and finish looked rather poor (too much plastic and 'satin' palstic on the dash)- the '02s by comparison are muchnicer- abundance of wood trim everywhere.

Well, just my 2 cents... I was getting ready to go to a dealer auction in a few weeks, but now Im not so sure.

You have to remember that the hump is for the driveshaft. If it were smaller, the car would ride higher. And the trunk isn't too small. You can fit two people (inlaws maybe) in the trunk without problems. I've got 2 12" subs in there and have never had an issue with space. If you want trunk space just buy a towncar, you could fit an entire marching band back there.

However, this is your decision. Just make sure to be happy with what you end up getting.

2001LS8Sport said:

Don't get me wrong, the LS is a beautiful car, but it's also fairly large for its size, and I was expecting it to have more interior room. Even the Mazda 3 (on which the Zephyr will be based) had more rear seat legroom, IMO.

Personal preference, I just preferred the interior of the pre-03s. Looked richer, and less plastic-y.

:)

I think he hit his head before he drove this car or mistakenly drove a Mitis Gallant! HAHA

-Scott-

captainalias said:
I was a bit disappointed by 2 things- the trunk is really shallow (even worse than my sister's Mark VIII!) and interior volume is rather small, especially for rear passengers with the really big hump running down the middle.
I am always amazed at what I can fit in my trunk. The best example is that I was able to put my brother's lawn spreader in it, fully assembled, without even folding the seats. Yes, it's somewhat shallow relative to length and width, but it's plenty tall. Take a measuring tape to it. In practice, it's a great trunk. The large opening is also great - way better than a Chrysler 300, for example.

The rear seat is big enough for me to sit behind myself when I have the seat adjusted for me to drive, and I'm 6' tall. I've never had anyone complain about riding back there, and I got the car primarily for hauling co-workers around. The worst thing with the back seat is that there is little room to get your feet in and out - there's not enough space between the b-pillar and the seat cushion.

When you go to the auction, take a big box to fit in the trunk and sit in the back seat for awhile. I like it so much I sit back there when I need to do office work in the car when I'm on the road.

Of course, the LS can't satisfy everyone, so if you decide on something else I hope it works out for you.

captainalias said:
Even the Mazda 3 (on which the Zephyr will be based) had more rear seat legroom, IMO.
Amazingly enough, you're right.
Interior Dimensions
LS V8 Ultimate Mazda3
Standard Seating 5 5
Optional Seating No data No data
Front Headroom (in.) 38.60 39.10
Rear Headroom (in.) 36.70 37.40
Front Legroom (in.) 42.80 41.90
Rear Legroom (in.) 36.00 36.30
Front Shoulder Room (in.) 57.60 54.90
Rear Shoulder Room (in.) 57.00 54.00
Front Hip Room (in.) 53.00 54.90
Rear Hip Room (in.) 54.70 53.90

IMHO, the trunk space blows. I'll agree with you on that. But it isn't any worse than my Cougar, also a shallow trunk. The tray for computers and speakers also narrows the space down signifigantly.

Rear seat space sucks too, but it's fine for smaller people or kids.

But these issues DO NOT make the car not worth buying (double negative :D). RWD cars WILL have a hump, and like mentioned above - ride height is low, so the hump is bigger.

And seeing as I don't ride in the back seat, and don't need to transport too much stuff, rear seat and trunk space is a non-issue.

Besides, most midsize cars are about this size in the rear seat and trunk.

captainalias said:

A common complaint of the LS is no storage space in the interior. Maybe that is why it feels smaller to you? On a 2000 there is no storage room for anything. The trunk will get tiny fast if it has the Audiophile system with the subs in the back too. My wife complained about it all the time, so I took her subs and put it in my LS. :) The LS is not very practical and pretty expensive. If you are not really happy with it, don't get it. There are more practical cars you can get that are cheaper with less cost of up-keep and more room and you don't have to get a BIG car. My wife's Intrigue was a lot more practical for trips and such, but it only lasted to 80,000 miles and started to have all kinds of problems. I wouldn't recommend one.

I never noticed the hump. :) Are you used to driving FWD cars maybe?

I don't think I have to say anything positive about the LS as people touch on that every day here.

Drive a couple of used LSs to get a feel for them. They are getting easier to find and I was able to drive my 1st one over 40 miles before I bought it.

captainalias said:
All good points, thanks gents. :)

Well, trying to convince my dad to go for an Aviator in the meantime...

My wife has an Aviator. Very, very nice car...and we've had almost no problems with it.

lsbit said:
A common complaint of the LS is no storage space in the interior. Maybe that is why it feels smaller to you? On a 2000 there is no storage room for anything. The trunk will get tiny fast if it has the Audiophile system with the subs in the back too. My wife complained about it all the time, so I took her subs and put it in my LS. :) The LS is not very practical and pretty expensive. If you are not really happy with it, don't get it. There are more practical cars you can get that are cheaper with less cost of up-keep and more room and you don't have to get a BIG car. My wife's Intrigue was a lot more practical for trips and such, but it only lasted to 80,000 miles and started to have all kinds of problems. I wouldn't recommend one.

I never noticed the hump. :) Are you used to driving FWD cars maybe?

I don't think I have to say anything positive about the LS as people touch on that every day here.

Drive a couple of used LSs to get a feel for them. They are getting easier to find and I was able to drive my 1st one over 40 miles before I bought it.

I like how it drives, how it looks, and handles, but was, as you mentioned, also looking for a bit more of a practical (but not boat like, e.g. Town Car) car. Hmm, I guess I'll hold off just yet, maybe I should just wait for the Zephyr as someone pointed out? :)

2001LS8Sport said:
My wife has an Aviator. Very, very nice car...and we've had almost no problems with it.

Really? Which year do you have? Does it ever feel like just a rebadged Explorer?

BTW, does your Aviator have that faulty fire switch that's been in the news recently?

captainalias said:
I like how it drives, how it looks, and handles, but was, as you mentioned, also looking for a bit more of a practical (but not boat like, e.g. Town Car) car. Hmm, I guess I'll hold off just yet, maybe I should just wait for the Zephyr as someone pointed out? :)

Maybe if you wait a year to let them work the bugs out. I have been wanting a 2005 Mustang but am holding off for a while yet. :)

lsbit said:
Maybe if you wait a year to let them work the bugs out. I have been wanting a 2005 Mustang but am holding off for a while yet. :)

True, considering all the problems with the '00 LS as mentioned on this board.

Members online

Back