Tail light socket is burnt!

Rear tail light socket is overheating (burnt)???
Do you really mean tail light (parking light) such as is on the 1st gen trunk lid? Or do you actually mean one of the brake lights or even a turn signal light? Alternately, do you mean the center brake light?

If you want actual help, you are going to have to tell us more that a single short statement with a question mark behind it.
What year is your LS?
Exactly which bulb are you talking about?
How about a picture?

rear Tail light(brake/clearance) socket;installed new socket 3 years ago & it has got hot enough it is discolored again? how can this overheating be corrected???

Last edited:
Discolored over the years is normal. Melting is not. I never had this with either of mine, and I don't recall much about it in the forums. Are you a left foot braker?

rear Tail light(brake/clearance) socket;installed new socket 3 years ago & it has got hot enough it is discolored again? how can this overheating be corrected???
Was there any green corrosion in the socket or on the base of the bulb? That would be a sign of water getting in there somehow.

Usually some lithium grease in the socket will prevent that.

Or when you replaced the socket the first time... did you use butt connectors. If that is the case, the butt connectors should have been sealed with some silicone caulk on the ends.

A picture would help.

As an afterthought... Is that bulb brighter than the rest?

Some bulbs will fit in sockets that are designed for other types of bulbs.

Last thought. When you replaced the original socket, are you sure you wired it properly?

Aftermarket sockets typically have red and black wires (with possibly a green wire).

Ford has their own color coding on the wires... so maybe that socket is not wired properly???

Members online

No members online now.
Back