Switching from Lincoln To Caddilac

ridindirrty

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone...I'm a longtime Ford/Lincoln driver looking to make a change...I've been checking out '97-'99 Devilles, Really impressed with the look, style, features, ENGINE (obviously). I just get the distinct vibe that these cars are money pits with LOTS to go wrong on them. Any input on what to look out for would be appreciated. Always wanted to own a northstar but boy does that engine compartment look TIGHT! I hear you can pull trouble codes right on the dash with these cars too, is this the case?

ridindirrty said:
I'm a longtime Ford/Lincoln driver looking to make a change...I've been checking out '97-'99 Devilles, Really impressed with the look, style, features, ENGINE (obviously). I just get the distinct vibe that these cars are money pits with LOTS to go wrong on them.

Hi Ridin' Dirty,

I'm in exactly the same boat as you. Had nothing but Ford / Lincolns for the past 20 years, today owning a Town Car, Continental, Mustang and Crown Vic.

These Devilles have had me yearning, but I've heard that their NorthStar V8s aren't very cheap to work on. I do think that's one tight package, which does offer some crisper lines and more sensible space management than a Lincoln. I think they might offer slightly better handling and maybe a more nimble ride in general?

I'll post back here if I can find info elsewhere on the advantages and issues with these Devilles.

Cheers,

Vic

Follow-up

Hi ridindirrty,

Just a follow-up post to let you know that I'm going for another GM car instead (still have the 4 Fords) for practical reasons, its' a Buick Roadmaster Estate with an LS1 engine ready for tuning... :cool:

Good luck with the caddy hunt!

Vic

you can pull codes right from the dash. press the off and warmer button as the same time and it will show you the codes. if your going to buy one, buy it with about 60 or 70 thousand miles, and in my opinion, as soon as it hits arund 85000 miles, sell it for one with less miles. if you want to avoid the head gasket problems anyway. ofcourse, if the car has alot of codes or recent codes, sell it. these cars are great if you get a right one, but if you get a probelm one, they are a huge PITA. my 98 is trouble free, and i love it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back