Suspension noises?

Chubbs765

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Driving around today i noticed a rather annoying noise when I would go over a small bump and even brake to come to a complete stop, sounds to me like both front and rear but not positive. I'm almost 100% it's not bushings because it's a creak noise and not a thud. Tried pushing down on the car in several places to pinpoint the problem but came to no solution. The car is a 2003 Lincoln Ls with only 54,000 miles. Really hoping it's nothing big. Anybody had similar problems that could help me?

Could really be anything.. I had a really bad creaking and thud going on in my front end

Replaced the sway bar bushing fixed the clunking..
Replaced both lower ball joints, no sound fix but they needed to be changed anyways
Replaced the upper ball joint on the drivers side, and the creaking door went away..

As I was saying though it can really be anything.. but that's what I did and finally fixed the front end sounds.

I had a creaking noise that progressively got worse in my '02. While the wife was driving the upper ball joint separated from the upper control arm. Luckily it broke while she was literally 50' from the driveway going slow. At higher speed it would have been WAY worse. I ended up changing both sides out of fear. Check upper control arms.

M4rk, that's exactly what it sounds like. So the lca bushing? Any fix to that or just buy new?

M4rk, that's exactly what it sounds like. So the lca bushing? Any fix to that or just buy new?

In my case, it's my lower rear LCA bushing. They are sealed and self-lubricated. Once the boot has been torn (probably due to a large pot hole), the fluid leaked out, the rubber dried out and I developed an annoying squeak. I "fixed" it by injecting some brake caliper grease (rubber friendly) into the boot using a grease gun w/ a needle tip. It has been nice and quiet since.

The only proper way of fixing it is to purchase a new control arm, for about $300-400.

I also did some research and found an overseas company that sells the lower rear bushings only, but for an S-Type Jag: http://www.thejaguarshop.com/Jaguar/special_details/RG 109.htm

This product is applicable to the following Jaguar models.

XF 2007 onwards
XK 2006 onwards
XJ V8 2003 onwards
S-Type 1999 onwards

That's around $150 for both bushings, plus labor that is needed either way, even if you decide to replace the whole arm, so it's a risk.

You can start by spraying things down with WD-40 to isolate the issue, but I had to remove the strut assy to correctly pin-point the squeak.

Could really be anything.. I had a really bad creaking and thud going on in my front end

Replaced the sway bar bushing fixed the clunking..
Replaced both lower ball joints, no sound fix but they needed to be changed anyways
Replaced the upper ball joint on the drivers side, and the creaking door went away..

As I was saying though it can really be anything.. but that's what I did and finally fixed the front end sounds.

Did you have creaking when turning only? I'm thinking my upper control arms need to be replaced as well. Its not loud but noticeable.

My creak seems to be when I turn the wheel while I'm in motion. When I'm stopped, I don't hear any noise when I turn the wheel. I also noticed a slight pull after turning but is fine once the wheel is straight. I had an alignment a couple of weeks ago and is fine going straight.

I've replaced my shocks, springs (Eibachs), knuckle/ball joint (lower), sway bar bushings and outer tie rods.

I have similar symptoms. Only notice it at slow speeds in town coming to and from stop lights. I've had the sway bar check multiple times, replaced upper and lower control arms and end links. Still there. I noticed it when I hit the brakes at times, possibly a caliper getting hung up or something but my brakes feel great to me. Just an odd sound.

I have similar symptoms. Only notice it at slow speeds in town coming to and from stop lights. I've had the sway bar check multiple times, replaced upper and lower control arms and end links. Still there. I noticed it when I hit the brakes at times, possibly a caliper getting hung up or something but my brakes feel great to me. Just an odd sound.

That is exactly when I am hearing it too. It kinda sounds like a brake cable or something being pulled for a few seconds. I thought it could be the inner tie rods but why would they make a sound if I'm not turning the car.?

We need an intense brainstorming session to hunt this down. I'm really stumped.

My creak ended up being loose lower ball joint nuts. I have about 300 miles on them since installing them and they must have worked loose a bit. Tightened them up and the noise if gone and the steering is stiffer, like it should be.

i have the same noise too but in the rear, i think it sounds exactly like in the video

tried to count the amount of times the car bounces back when going over bumps and it bounces at least 2-3 times before it goes back to normal (now i understand why the handling was so sh*tty, could not explain it)

i also have a lot of negative camber in the rear, lots of wheel hop

pretty much like what they are describing in this pic (googled after checking m4rk's solution)

Control-Arm-Bushing-Rear.jpg

In my case, it's my lower rear LCA bushing. They are sealed and self-lubricated. Once the boot has been torn (probably due to a large pot hole), the fluid leaked out, the rubber dried out and I developed an annoying squeak. I "fixed" it by injecting some brake caliper grease (rubber friendly) into the boot using a grease gun w/ a needle tip. It has been nice and quiet since.

M4rk, which boot did you grease up according to this little pic:

t_rear_control_arms.jpg

sorry but im a mechanical rookie lol, i think the noise is the symptom of a bigger problem

i have the same noise too but in the rear, i think it sounds exactly like in the video

tried to count the amount of times the car bounces back when going over bumps and it bounces at least 2-3 times before it goes back to normal (now i understand why the handling was so sh*tty, could not explain it)

i also have a lot of negative camber in the rear, lots of wheel hop

pretty much like what they are describing in this pic (googled after checking m4rk's solution)

M4rk, which boot did you grease up according to this little pic:

sorry but im a mechanical rookie lol, i think the noise is the symptom of a bigger problem

Sorry, can't see the photo... The rear LCAs have 3 bushings. 2 of which are a ball-joint type with dust boots (rear and knuckle), and 1 is an all-rubber type (front). I posted a photo of the whole arm in one of my threads, which clearly shows the bushings.

My issue (squeaking) originated from the rear ball-joint type bushing. The boot was torn, which means the original grease leaked out, so I added brake caliper grease into it, through that same tear. This was only a temporary relief as the noises later returned and I had to replace the arm(s) because of physical damage to the bushing due to lack of lubricity in the joint.

Sorry, can't see the photo... The rear LCAs have 3 bushings. 2 of which are a ball-joint type with dust boots (rear and knuckle), and 1 is an all-rubber type (front). I posted a photo of the whole arm in one of my threads, which clearly shows the bushings.

My issue (squeaking) originated from the rear ball-joint type bushing. The boot was torn, which means the original grease leaked
out, so I added brake caliper grease into it, through that same tear. This was only a temporary relief as the noises later returned and I had to replace the arm(s) because of physical damage to the bushing due to lack of lubricity in the joint.

Nice, ok so i will try wd40 first as soon as i get home!

Not that I've come across. My car is fine at the moment, the sounds seem to come and go. I'm not entirely sure what it is. It may be temperature related since we are entering the winter seasons everything might be stiffening up so perhaps some bushings might not be sloppy.

Members online

No members online now.
Back