Suncore air compressor information

Nick Riviera

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi folks. I'm new to this site, and I don't usually post stuff, but since I got good information from LVC, I guess I'm duty-bound to try and help someone else.

I got a replacement compressor/dryer from Suncore for my '98 Mark VIII. They are using new pumps, since they are running out of rebuildable cores (wait till they see the core that I'm sending them). The factory motor bracket won't fit around the new pump, so they had new brackets stamped out. This is what I found:

1. The bracket WAS NOT STAMPED STRAIGHT. I had to remove it and "adjust" it with a precision sledgehammer. I had to mount and remount it several times to get it right. This is sort of a problem, because the bracket is also the end-cap for the pump. If it gets warped, water is going to get into the pump and motor.

2. It's a good thing I had to pull the bracket, because the Allen bolts holding it on (the cheapest, crappiest allens I've ever seen) were loose. Two of them loosened up before I had even seated the wrench, and the third came out with my fingers. This thing would have sucked up a lungful of water after a few months.
TIP: if you're going through this now, I would suggest some RTV around the gasket area, just in case the bracket sealing surface gets bent.

3. They haven't updated the instructions. It's not a big deal, but I noticed two things:
-Put some spacer washers in the Relay screw, or get a shorter screw - the original interferes with the new-style pump.
-The new pump doesn't have and vent connection to go to the expansion box - it's just a screened-over fitting in a different location, so you can get rid of the expansion box. Not a big deal, it just makes a nice, loud pop and hiss when you get out of the car and it vents.

None of this is a big deal. I understand that parts are no longer made for these cars, and sometimes you just have to roll with the changes; but damn, I paid good money for this part - I didn't expect to have to waste an hour screwing around with it. (Then again, I just wasted an additional 15 minutes bitching, so who's the idiot?)

Any questions? I did this an hour ago, so if you need me to look at something while the inner fender is off, or have a question, put it up and I'll check back later or tomorrow morning. All right - gotta go change the fuel filter now.

Members online

Back