Sub options

WackyWRZ

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I am trying to plan a custom sub setup to go in my car, and can't decide whats best. I have come up with a few options, and need opinions. I plan on using a budget sub like a Kicker Comp, CompVR, RF PunchHE, Alpine TypeR, PPI C1s etc... These are the options I have come up with (excuse the ghetto-ness). The box is going to be custom and under the package shelf.

#1-3 10s in a ported box with the ports at the bottom, sep. chambers.

#2-3 10s ported, common chambers, 1 big port.

#3-2 12s ported, common chambers, 1 common port.

#4-3x12s sealed.

I also could do 3x10s sealed, etc... I just want the most bump for the buck on a TIGHT budget. I have someone to build the box for me thats a PRO and a 1/2 with wood, so thats no problem.

78.gif

Sifrino3 said:
#3 Keep it clean!

Yea id probly go with 2 12's in a ported box, id probly get RF punch hx2 for subs. Type R alpines arnt bad though either.

Sifrino3 said:
Im a Sony guy and I don't care what any of you say!
Well, I ain't going with sony, thats for SURE. I would be better off with 2 12"s and 2x ports, i.e. separate chambers I assume. Anyone ever tried the PPI C2 series?? I was thinking 4th order bandpass, but that'd be a BEEOTCH to build correctly. With some HX2s and a good amp, I could probably keep under $500 too!

WackyWRZ said:
Well, I ain't going with sony, thats for SURE. I would be better off with 2 12"s and 2x ports, i.e. separate chambers I assume. Anyone ever tried the PPI C2 series?? I was thinking 4th order bandpass, but that'd be a BEEOTCH to build correctly. With some HX2s and a good amp, I could probably keep under $500 too!

If you can have a big box, id go with a single 15" punch hx2 with a 1001bd mono amp. My friend had this exact same setup and his single 15 banged hard! Probly best setup ive heard for $500 or less.

Punisher said:
If you can have a big box, id go with a single 15" punch hx2 with a 1001bd mono amp. My friend had this exact same setup and his single 15 banged hard! Probly best setup ive heard for $500 or less.

Btw his 15" was in a huge vented box. I owned a box similar way back like 5 years ago and it was the hardest hitting system ive owned (hopefully that will change really soon though). I had 1 single 15" lanzar (back before pryimid bought them out and they were good) in a massive ported box (port was MASSIVE was 1 single port and box was probly around 8 cubic feet).

Personally I went with 2 12's in a vented box, (btw I prefer vented to ported for sure). But my system is costing me a arm and a leg =p. I went with 2 12" power series RF hx2 subs. Added a battery, amp for mids, got components all around. Had purchased my amps for subs already but I wasnt thinking at time and I got amps that dont match up to my subs well (1001bd power series RF amps, 4ohm or 2ohm stable, but unfortunatly my subs are 2ohm DVC so you can only run at 4ohm or 1ohm with a single sub, so id only be pushing 500watts rms to each sub. I need to get 2 1000watt 2 channel amps that can be bridged to 4ohm, or get a mono amp that is 1ohm stable). Just sucks cause a 1051s power series RF amp (would match my subs perfect) runs around $400+ a piece, a 1001bd is about $100 cheaper. So basically I gotta spend a extra $200 to to get the amps that match my subs yet both are basically around same wattage.

Heh and if anyone is thinking of adding a battery, boy does it help, will make your system hit harder in alot of cases im sure. But its a fairly expensive thing to do. I think it cost me around $450 to add the battery (battery was $150 of it).

It'd be kinda hard to put a 15" in the Mark, b/c if I am keeping it up under the package shelf, my max box height is already at 15". I think I will try the 2-12s approach. BTW, the port is best off on the side that the speaker is on right, b/c of cancelation waves etc... So I guess I will build a box that has 2 chambers and 2 ports.

Members online

No members online now.
Back