stripping the wax off

taylor414ce2003

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi,what should I use to remove the many layers of wax on my car ? also how many coats of wax is too much or how often does the old wax need to be stripped off? thanks in advance for your reply

You can remove old wax by washing with a dish soap (i.e. Dawn) or polishing the vehicle. Natural waxes will typically only last 2 - 8 weeks depending on your prep work, conditions and particular wax. Artificial waxes (aka Sealants) will last much longer at 3 - 6 months. I'd recommend re-applying a wax every 2 - 4 weeks and sealants every 3 months or so. You can usually layer each product as much as you want. After five coats in one detailing session the product will only improve the protection and shine marginally. If you let time pass and reapply a coat every couple of weeks you can apply more coats. After time the sealant or wax will have a more difficult time clinging to the old sealant because it will become contaminated and uneven.

If you'd like some recommendations on high quality waxes or sealants please let me know. I'd be happy to help you select some detailing products that best fit your particular needs. Let me know if I can help you any further.

Greg @ Detailed Image

Members online

No members online now.
Back