Strange Knocking: '98 STS

speedy_2

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Well, I had my oil changed today cuz I thought I was a few quarts low. Since the the car was telling me to check the oil level. I thought that was the cause of this knocking. It only starting doing this last night. Anyways, oil didn't do it. It only happens under acceleration or reving. When the engine decelerates back to idle you don't here it. Only a little at about 1,000rpm. The loudest is when it's passing through 2,000 and 3,000+ rpm. At first I thought it was a really bad exhaust leak, but that's definately not it. Almost sounds like the knock my mustang has from it's solid lifters. But, my caddy is OHC!! I took the oil cap off and saw the cam and everything moving and could tell the sound wasn't coming from there. Seems to be coming from the side of the engine where the pulleys are at. That's the closest I can tell. Anyone got any ideas??

This is something way worse!!! I drove it again and was headed to the store with a friend. All of a sudden it got loud. Really loud. Now it knocks loud at every RPM!! I also noticed that the crank pulley is not spinning smoothly!!! Looks like it's shaking while it's spinning. Yet the engine itself is running smoothly. And nothin is leaking. HELP ME!! I'm not driving it anymore just to be safe. Would the rod bearing cause this?? Oh yeah, what's this gonna cost??

Not gonna be cheap --- Ijm not a northstar expert but its sure sounding like something internal is broken -- which would mean a new engine......

Luckily we just got a Cadillac OEM parts supplier who gives lvc gold members 10% discounts - and I expect another 1-2 next week. SO we can help you out on whatever parts you need.

Joeychgo said:
Not gonna be cheap --- Ijm not a northstar expert but its sure sounding like something internal is broken -- which would mean a new engine......

Luckily we just got a Cadillac OEM parts supplier who gives lvc gold members 10% discounts - and I expect another 1-2 next week. SO we can help you out on whatever parts you need.

Thanks. But, unfortunately I'm getting deployed on Dec. 6th. So unless someone can fix it in a week, it's going to be sitting for 6 months. :( Thanks though.

Members online

Back