strange coloring/streaking on door posts 2002 LSV8

Unknown

LVC Member
Reaction score
I posted a photo of the door post streaking discoloring in my Photo Garage.

any ideas what causes this ...? or how to stop it..?

as you can see I wiped the streaking with my finger and the oil from my skin changed it back to black, then after a few hours it came back...

Nothing really you can do to bring that back to normal. Ken has some covers at Lskoncepts which will be your best bet and look better on your car.

Buy some polishing compound for a parts store. It will remove the spotting and discoloring, just dont get to agressive. Make sure you keep them waxed.

i got some meguiars tex wax on it by accident and it cleaned it up.. looks as good as new, and its still good... did it about a month ago. i only used a light coat though .. just a haze.

i tried a bottle of Mothers Back to Black, its in a red bottle... worked a little bit, worked on the weather strippings too

Unknown said:
I posted a photo of the door post streaking discoloring in my Photo Garage.

any ideas what causes this ...? or how to stop it..?

as you can see I wiped the streaking with my finger and the oil from my skin changed it back to black, then after a few hours it came back...
It looks like to me that it just needs to be cleaned with some wax cleaner and then apply some wax protectant like you would put on the paint. This should protect it from the elements. Also, remember that those automatic car washes are murder on those B-Pillars. They use some kind of chemical that just destroys the surface on them. Avoid those automatic car washes like the plague.

If B-Pillars are scratched up then I'd suggest getting the B-Pillar inserts. Don't spend the money if a little elbow grease can make them look new.

I dry mine off with a chamois (spell check) that works fine. no streaks!

black_lincoln said:
i got some meguiars tex wax on it by accident and it cleaned it up.. looks as good as new, and its still good... did it about a month ago. i only used a light coat though .. just a haze.

Where can I buy that?

GrayGhost1 said:
It looks like to me that it just needs to be cleaned with some wax cleaner and then apply some wax protectant like you would put on the paint. This should protect it from the elements. Also, remember that those automatic car washes are murder on those B-Pillars. They use some kind of chemical that just destroys the surface on them. Avoid those automatic car washes like the plague.

If B-Pillars are scratched up then I'd suggest getting the B-Pillar inserts. Don't spend the money if a little elbow grease can make them look new.

Ken you need to make some mirror covers like the B-pillar inserts to protect the mirrors from rocks/bugs. I bet you would sell them with no problem.

i was actually going to post something about this myself. have a 2002 V8 LS and the pillars have some weird funk growing on it. I used the back to black as someone mentioned and it cleans it right off. Couple days later (depending on weather) it's right back again.. What is it?

Oxyargon03 said:
i was actually going to post something about this myself. have a 2002 V8 LS and the pillars have some weird funk growing on it. I used the back to black as someone mentioned and it cleans it right off. Couple days later (depending on weather) it's right back again.. What is it?
It's the paint oxidizing off of the B-Pillars. Did you put some wax protectant on it after you cleaned it? If not, there is no protection on the paint to keep it from oxidizing.

Members online

No members online now.
Back