Stereo question

Dacket

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Its about time for me to upgrade my after market stereo in my 01' conti ... and I was wondering if I could fit a double din radio in there? Crutchfield.com dosnt allow me to pick out a double din radio for the car... but i was browsing on cardomain.com and i noticed somebody had a double din radio in, and it dosnt look like he had a custom dash... here's the link: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2435033
it looks like its fitting in nicely... i would love to have a double din radio like this one, i think it looks alot better.

I'll be honest, I've always wondered this too...it looks to me like the radio is almost a double din. The only thing that might be unusual for sizing is that the radio has a dip in the back of it, which might be there because of ducting or framing of the dash. So the double din might fit perfectly fine from the front, but there might be work that needs to be done behind to make it fit.

Short of taking the radio out and looking, I don't know if there is a simple answer.

Thats what I have noticed too. I'll have to take out my after market stereo and take a look, I don't remember all that is inside the hole. I've noticed, on Crutchfield, they say "fits all 4" dash openings" when looking at double din radios. The dash opening in the Conti dash is 4 1/4", so I don't think that fitting the radio in width and height wise would be a problem. Maybe I'll find the time to take my stereo out this week and I'll post what I find out.

I've taken my stereo out today and got some pictures of the dash opening :
2631887_13.jpg

2631887_14.jpg

2631887_15.jpg

2631887_16.jpg

2631887_17.jpg

2631887_18.jpg

The hole in the back is where the rubber "nub" on the back of the factory radio slides into, to keep the unit stable... The tape measure is hooked onto the hole and not all the way back into the hole...
also the unit I am planning on getting is the Avic-Z1 http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069681_295632461_tab=B,00.html?compName=PNA_V3_ProductDetailsComponent at the bottom of the page you can see the exact measurements of the unit... 7" x 4" x 6-1/2"... it looks like it would be a perfect fit to me... I have no idea why Crutchfield doesn't say it would fit... hmm...
Anybodies thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated! =)

Also you can see that, with the mounting kit that I have for my radio, it sticks out on the top, and the factory radio sticks out on the bottom... and it fits just fine.

Will do! I just have to find somebody who has an extra/old double din radio to mess with so I don't throw down a couple g's on something I can't use =P

I work for best buy and I have put them in other lincolns (like navigators) and I think that it is the same for yours too. Ill have to double check at my work if that will work for sure.

That would be awesome if you could look that up for me. Greatly appreciated! =)

yes a double din will fit. i just installed a kenwood ddx6019 in my 99 continental. i had the same problem, crutchfield said it doesnt fit, but i saw the same car on cardomain. i had to do some cutting though. the cage was actually about 1/4 inch too tall so i took a grinder and had to grind down the plastic on the top of the stereo space. you cant grind the bottom plastic because the ac controls are there. the only problem i had was that there are so many wire harnesess in the back that keep the unit from sliding in all the way so it does stick out a bit, i cant slide it in all the way back to lock it. i also had to put screws in thru the sides of the cage to keep it in. all i have to do now is cut the trim peice to fit.

I think that if Crutchfield doesn't have any info for a given car, they just say nothing will fit.

I ran into the same thing when I ordered a CD changer<->aux input adapter for my Mark VIII. According to their info, they didn't have anything that would work. I ordered a model with the correct connectors for my stereo, and sure enough it was plug-and-play.

Awesome! Thank you! I knew it could be done! ;)

Members online

No members online now.
Back