steering wheel position sensor?

lincoln1

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm replacing the steering column in my 2001. All three terminals grouped together are connected and the shift lock terminal is connected. There is one three wire terminal that I can't find where it goes to, I started project a couple of months ago and I can't remember, the car is out of town. There's something called a steering wheel position/angle sensor; could this be it? If so, what does it connect to? Thanks in advance

Last edited:
The steering angle sensor is at the firewall end of the steering column. It is a four pin connector. The wiring runs to the ABS module.

Thanks again, joegr. The connector in question is a three pin. Could it still be for the sensor?

The car is not near me. But I don't think it's on the column, it's just hanging near it. I may have had to remove it (connector) to get the other column out. The connector itself is about 3/4 to 1" long and flat with one snap on mounting clip, the 3 wires are in a cloth like sleeve. I'll get a picture as soon as I can. Thanks

Update: A part number given to me (ntk sj0049) for my car, is really for an 2000-05 LS and it looks like it has four pins, according to Rock.

Update: A part number given to me (ntk sj0049) for my car, is really for an 2000-05 LS and it looks like it has four pins, according to Rock.

That is the correct part for your car. I assure you that your steering wheel angle sensor has four pins, and it mounted near the firewall end of the column, on the column (around the actual steering shaft). Whatever three pin connector you are talking about goes to something else.

Why are you thinking it would be the steering angle sensor?

The sensor was the only thing I could think of that it would be for. I failed to mention that my car has a column shift. Well, I went to a local u pull-it yesterday, they had a 2000 model there, with a floor shift. The area under the column had not been taken apart. I dropped the column enough to see the top of it, a three pin connector was connected into something on top. It looks like same type as my car. So I'm guessing this connector is on all factory wiring harnesses, to avoid confusion on the assembly line. By the way, this car did not have the steering wheel angle sensor on the lower end of column @ the bearing retainer wheel, but this was a 2000, mine is a '01, Thanks.

Cars without AdvanceTrac probably wouldn't have the sensor.

Members online

No members online now.
Back