Steering Problem With 2000 Lincoln LS

Lucas05 3

LVC Member
Reaction score
When I am at highspeeds, 55-70MPH the steering wheel shakes very quickly and jolting. I don't know if this is normal or what. It may because it was in need of tires but they are currently being put on now. Hopefully that will do the trick becuase they were pretty much bald. If not, the steering column may need realigned. I am open to any comments to help me out because I am lost.

Make sure your LS has had the Safety Recall update for that year. The recall was for loose ball joints. That was the only safety recall ever sent out for the LS and it was for the 2000 model year LS's. Also, tires will play a roll in the shaking not to mention worn out shocks. Make sure you get a full alignment when you get those new tires on. Once a wear pattern sets up on tires it's too late. Cars that are out of alignment will cause excessive tire wear such as cupping or feathering. This will cause shakes and shimmys too.

I'm not aware of any other LS front end problems but the 2000 was the first year for the LS and it had some first year problems. However, Lincoln knows this and will fix those issues under warranty.

I did notice it drift a little to the left when I let go of the wheel on a straight away. It makes sense to becuase the wheels were nearly bald and feathered. I got it scheduled for a realignment also. They couldn't get the car in today so it will be done tommorow hopefully. They are also putting in a wire that is connected to the air bag system becuase it has been giving me problems for a long time and they never found anything untill now, a broken wire. As for the recall, they said my model doesn't need to be recalled.

I cannot wait to get it back and have a nice smooth ride again. Thanks a lot for the quick response, thankyou.

Alright, I just got it back and it is smoother than ever. The handling is so much better now I can't believe I drove without it. No rumbling, not even at 100+MPH. Thanks for the help.

Members online

Back