Steering Column Replacement

mespock said:
I'm looking at a 93 mark VIII. Guy said needs the steering Column Replaced -

What kind of job is this and cost?

Otherwise car is in great shape!

why does the column need to be replaced?

Talked to the guy again he claim that it is a back steering rack and that it is a common problem.

I haven't heard of this problem in any threads yet.

Please more repsonce!!!

Steering rack needs replaced not the steering wheel?

Niether are real big jobs, just after you do the steering rack you will need to get it aligned since you will have to take the tie rod ends off and such.
:Beer

1wykdmk8 said:
Steering rack needs replaced not the steering wheel?

Niether are real big jobs, just after you do the steering rack you will need to get it aligned since you will have to take the tie rod ends off and such.

How much would it cost for the parts and what would I all need.

Just a steering rack, that is about it. BUT, since you already have it apart, and IF you have not done it recently, I would replace BOTH inner/outer tie rod ends....especially since it will need aligned anyways....does not hurt to be safe.

Also, I would replace the bushings, but if you are gonna do that, I would order a set of poly bushings from MN12 Performance. THAT is what I would do, but order the WHOLE kit if you order the poly bushings. You can do them now, or you can do them later. BUT I would replace the bushings anyways, even if you do not get the poly bushings.

So, here is a possible list....at least what I would do:

1) Steering rack.
2) Inner tie rod end (1 each side for a total of 2)
3) Outer tie rod end (1 each side for a total of 2)
4) Steering rack bushings (total of 2)

Then whatever labor will cost you. Unless you plan on doing this.

Hope this helped.

1wykdmk8 said:
Hope this helped :Beer

It would have helped a lot but the car I bought doesn't have that proplem.

I was dealing on 3 Mark VIIIs One had a broken door latch, one the Steering Column, and Last One with no problems.

I took the one with no problems as I got it cheaper than the other two!

Only thing I didn't like the color as much as the others. But It's not bad!!! I can live with it. This is my stepping stone to my 98 Mark VIII.

I alreay have my 93.

Members online

Back