Starter engauging

bigmack187

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 91 town car and some times when I put the car in revers the starter will engauge and if I shift from park to drive and when the shifter crosses revers it engauges... Any help would be great....

I would figure out if it is an electrical issue or a mechanical issue. If it is the start clutch sticking that is easy fix, but it also could be that the starter is getting electrical power. I would have a voltmeter wired to the high current side of the starter and whenever the starter is directly activated the meter will show 14 volts and go from there.

Thats my 2 cents.

Pepsi2185 said:
I would figure out if it is an electrical issue or a mechanical issue. If it is the start clutch sticking that is easy fix, but it also could be that the starter is getting electrical power. I would have a voltmeter wired to the high current side of the starter and whenever the starter is directly activated the meter will show 14 volts and go from there.

Thats my 2 cents.

It's hard to do that cuz it only happens ocne and awhile and it's usally when i'm out crusin so I dont have tools. I would take it to the dealer but I cant...

Could be the ignition switch is loose or something and shifting the gear selector causes it to move into the start position. Does your steering column seem sloppy or does it seem like the ignition switch needs to be turned overly far to start the car?

Members online

Back