So close to pulling trigger....

captainalias

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Still trying to decide between a Volvo S40 and a Lincoln LS. While I do appreciate the merits of the small car (easy to park, better fuel economy), I came across the sweetest black 2002 LS today at the Ford dealer. 33K miles, $17K, loaded with sunroof, beautiful almost new creme leather, cd changer, alloy wheels... And, to boot, pre-certified. Momma mia, so hard to decide.

I guess the insurance for the Volvo might be lower, right?!

Insurance will probably be cheaper on the S40, but you're best bet is to call your current provider to compare the two cars - they should be happy to help you out. There's even online comparisons available.

My personaly pick - the LS. Why? The Volvo's are developing a bad reputation for reliability. As the cars have got very cool looking (love the S80), their quality has gone down.

The LS isn't perfect either, but it hasn't given me any serious problems that weren't easy/cost effective to fix, and it's a early 2000.

Not to mention the better handling and power the LS has. And it's only slightly bigger than the Volvo, the LS is Taurus sized.

how could you even think about choosing a VOLVO over a LINCOLN LS!?! :joke but seriously... LINCOLN LS, should be a no brainer... :L

One question though- I saw on one of the LS windows, a sticker that said, 'implied warranty'. Anyone know what that means?

There are two types of warranties, implied and express. Express is the written warranty the car came with new, the 4 year, 50k mile warranty. If that warranty has expired, you're just left with the implied warranties that are implied by law in every contract. In this case, that's the implied warranty of merchantability and implied warranty of fitness for a particular purpose (and maybe more). What that means to you is that there is no warranty left, but if the car burns down due to a defect in its original design or manufacture, you still have a claim against Lincoln.

Save your self grief!

captainalias said:
Still trying to decide between a Volvo S40 and a Lincoln LS. While I do appreciate the merits of the small car (easy to park, better fuel economy), I came across the sweetest black 2002 LS today at the Ford dealer. 33K miles, $17K, loaded with sunroof, beautiful almost new creme leather, cd changer, alloy wheels... And, to boot, pre-certified. Momma mia, so hard to decide.

I guess the insurance for the Volvo might be lower, right?!

the lincoln will cause nothing but headaches from Ford/Lincoln/Mercury.
I had one and I dumped it. Always had something not working.
Steer clear!
I even wrote a not to Daryl Hazel with no reply. Lincolns have been removed from my "buy" list a lot of the other people I know are switching to more reliable and better made cars.

You buy one car and trash the whole company. Oh wow. I do agree with you though, that you shouldn't buy another Lincoln with an attitude like that. Leave them to the rest of us to enjoy. Peace

Dutch said:
There are two types of warranties, implied and express. Express is the written warranty the car came with new, the 4 year, 50k mile warranty. If that warranty has expired, you're just left with the implied warranties that are implied by law in every contract. In this case, that's the implied warranty of merchantability and implied warranty of fitness for a particular purpose (and maybe more). What that means to you is that there is no warranty left, but if the car burns down due to a defect in its original design or manufacture, you still have a claim against Lincoln.

Thanks Dutch!

There are lemons with every car brand, just hope I get a good one!

One more question- any glaring problems with the '02 year? The most problematic year on this board seems to have been the '00s for obvious reasons.

I bought an 02 about a 2 months ago. Fully loaded V8, 34k miles, with the 100K mile extended warranty. I paid $22k. I might have paid a bit much but at least the warranty will cover me the majority of the car's life. Plus i get a free loaner whenever its in the shop. So far so good, no problems.

I bought my wife an S40 and it had some issues as well mainly turbo pressure loss and transmission computer failed on a brand new car!!!, then traded it within 2 weeks of having it for an S60. It was a quick little monster though.

It seems every car maker has some bad ones out there. I bought a 2000
Lincoln 5 years ago, my first Lincoln, it was great, only went to the dealer
one time in 5 years. So I sold the 2000 Lincoln, and bought another
2005 about 3 months ago. The new one is great, solid as a rock.

Now 4 years ago I bought my wife a Volvo, can't remember the model,
the big 4 door one, it did great for about 7 months, then it just went
boom. We had so many problems with it, in a little less that one year
it went to the dealer 6 times, some times took 4-5 days to fix it.

The dealer had the car more than we did. My wife had enough, we
got rid of the Volvo. Bought her a Cadillac CTS, she loves it, and
it has not been to the dealer yet in over one and a half years.

Yes in this family a Caddi, and a Lincoln, and a Suburban..

Members online

Back