Service Engine Light

javahjoeo

New LVC Member
Reaction score
98 Cadillac Deville 70000 miles. Spent $1000 and the Service Engine Light still comes on. What's wrong?? Thank you. Javahjoeo

Service engine light 98 Deville

The service dept. put on an Evap,+ cold sensor + cam sensor + fuel filler tube, and new gas cap. Also new plug wires, + plugs. Wheeew!! That was expencive

With only 70,000 miles why did you need new wires? Wires will last well over 100,000 miles. In fact, correct me if I'm wrong but Cadillac advertises that the Northstar engine does not need maintenance for the first 100,000 miles, including wires and plugs. My 94 Eldorado still has its original wires with 176,000 miles. I don’t want to be too cynical, but just be careful with mechanics that like replacing parts for no reason except to charge a premium price or they are incompetent and don’t know what the bleep they are doing.

Javahjoeo, I take it that your problems have not been solved even after spending $1000?

To begin, with only 70,000 miles why did your Deville need new wires? Wires will last well over 100,000 miles. In fact, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Cadillac advertises that the Northstar engine does not need maintenance for the first 100,000 miles, including wires and plugs. My 94 Eldorado still has its original wires with 176,000 miles. I don’t want to be too cynical, but just be careful with mechanics that like replacing parts for no reason except to charge a premium price or they are incompetent and don’t know what the bleep they are doing.

If a mechanic charged me $1000 and nothing was accomplished I would be looking for a refund and/or would file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, and/or possibly sue. It’s absolutely ridiculous to spend so much money for nothing, especially when there is an on-board diagnostic system that will tell the idiot mechanic what is wrong. I might be missing something here with my criticism, but it seems that your problems are still not solved even after spending $1000. Am I nuts, or is something wrong with that picture?

Thanks for all your imput. The service dept. put the 98 Cady on the code reader, and every time they worked on it, it gave another code. You are right, the service engine light still comes on. I found on the internet, that by removing the neg, batt. cable, it would wipe out the codes. Well yes it did. However, now I get "Check gas cap". I bought a new Cady gas cap, took it to the service dept. had them wipe out the code, and put on the cap. That lasted about 50 miles, then the light came on and said "Check gas cap. I unhooked the batt. cable, removed the gas cap, and reinstalled it. Hooked up the batt. cable, and so many miles the light came on, saying "Check gas cap" Now I am going to talk to a friend, who works in the Chevy dealer, but did work many years at the Old's dealer. He want to check it out, and he isn't going to charge me. I didn't take it to him in the first place, because he is not working as a mech. now. He is in management. This is my first Cady, and I like it very much. I have had many new cars, but this Cady is a dream of a car. (less the engine light problem) As I can only afford 1 car payment, I opted for a Dodge deisel 3/4 ton long bed, 4x4. The Cady is the wifes car. Thanks again. Javahjoeo from Kokomo

I think you should check the gas cap LOL. Where is the sensor that triggers that warning? That's what I would be looking at. I always said that every problem you have with a Caddi is going to be weird and unheard of.

Or you could have a bad gas cap. I had a power steering pump installed at a dealer and it was bad. I had to fight to get them to change it again and admit that that was the problem but it was a bad pump right from the factory.

javahjoeo said:
Thanks for all your imput. The service dept. put the 98 Cady on the code reader, and every time they worked on it, it gave another code. You are right, the service engine light still comes on. I found on the internet, that by removing the neg, batt. cable, it would wipe out the codes. Well yes it did. However, now I get "Check gas cap". I bought a new Cady gas cap, took it to the service dept. had them wipe out the code, and put on the cap. That lasted about 50 miles, then the light came on and said "Check gas cap. I unhooked the batt. cable, removed the gas cap, and reinstalled it. Hooked up the batt. cable, and so many miles the light came on, saying "Check gas cap" Now I am going to talk to a friend, who works in the Chevy dealer, but did work many years at the Old's dealer. He want to check it out, and he isn't going to charge me. I didn't take it to him in the first place, because he is not working as a mech. now. He is in management. This is my first Cady, and I like it very much. I have had many new cars, but this Cady is a dream of a car. (less the engine light problem) As I can only afford 1 car payment, I opted for a Dodge deisel 3/4 ton long bed, 4x4. The Cady is the wifes car. Thanks again. Javahjoeo from Kokomo

Thanks again. The gas cap has been replaced with a new one, light still comes on. My wife spoke with the service dept, and they told her to bring it back. They would find and fix it, no charge. How many chances, do they need to get it right??? Will try again.

I allow 3 chances then I file a complaint with the CPB and the FTC. And I try to prove negligence and demand the cost of previous repairs to be returned.

javahjoeo said:
Thanks again. The gas cap has been replaced with a new one, light still comes on. My wife spoke with the service dept, and they told her to bring it back. They would find and fix it, no charge. How many chances, do they need to get it right??? Will try again.

I wiped out the codes on the 98 Deville, and have now driven it about 75 miles with out the light coming on. We will see, what we will see. Could it be? Can I dare hope for a fix? Later!! :F :iconcur:

Sound to me like codewize is right. I'd check whatever sensor is related to the gas cap. If these guys are too stupid to figure it out, I'd be finding a new mechanic. Theres a simple logic to this, gas cap light on, new gas cap, light still on, check sensor. This "service department" you speak of sounds like a money trap. Find a good local shop who won't screw you over. From the sound of it, you're going to a dealer, no? If your car isn't under warranty, avoid dealer shops at all costs. Unless you have alot of money and nothing to spend it on.

Well, I did have more money than I do now!! No this is not a Cady dealer. If it were it would be twice the money!! I think I might have a handle on this problem. Driven over 75 miles, and the light is not on yet. :wave :N

Members online

No members online now.
Back