Removing Resonators

VanDarela

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Besides the noise factor, Does removing the resonators change anything as far as performance? Or does it affect back pressure in any way? I have an 05 LS V8 with only flowmaster 40 series mufflers. basically what are the pros and cons of removing the resonators?...Thanks

how does it sound with the resonators? I'm thinking of running 40's but keeping the resonators.

I removed the resonators from my Magnaflow system and I think it sounds much better. Still not as loud as I would like, but still sounds good. I have some clips available if you're interested. Performance wise, I don't think it's negative. If anything, it's the same if not better on performance.

I completely removed the exaust system from my 2000 lsv8 i just cut the pipes from the headers back and welded pipes in place (yes i removed the cats) i have had no problems with proformance other than my check engine light, oh, and the fact i cant drive down the street without setting off car alarms and attracting every riceburner and racer in a 2 mile radius.

No mufflers either? Sound clip? I'm curious!

nope no mufflers just pipes i will be posting a sound clip and video asap but i am not sure how to do so yet (im new) i know its off subject but can i put sound/clips on this site or do i need to have a site then post a link?

2000 LS V8 Silver
-dropped 2in. (cut springs)
-intake (rigged)
-Gutted (just the back seats)
-Hillbilly special exaust
-limo tints

No, too much server drain. The best thing to do is set up a Youtube account or streetfire. Both are free. Then you can post a link.:D

That is very loud! I wouldn't mind hearing that up close. I don't think I could drive with that. Unique sound.:D

osain you said u had sound clips of ur magnaflow w. out resonators? im interested to hear that and for anyone wondering what their magnaflow exhaust would sound like without the resonators

bigpappy33 said:
osain you said u had sound clips of ur magnaflow w. out resonators? im interested to hear that and for anyone wondering what their magnaflow exhaust would sound like without the resonators

Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjpD-WfrUS8

Let me know if it does not work. It's been acting funky on my computer.

Eric

i like the magnaflows better, has anybody tried just replacing the mufflers with dynomax race bullets?

Hey loudisgood, i am going to be switching my exhaust soon and i am all for as loud as i can get it. Isnt there to much backpressure when running straight pipes? Did you notice any performance gains or drops after running the straight pipes?

02lincolnlsv8 said:
Hey loudisgood, i am going to be switching my exhaust soon and i am all for as loud as i can get it. Isnt there to much backpressure when running straight pipes? Did you notice any performance gains or drops after running the straight pipes?

wooooooah, too much back pressure with straight pipes? Running straight pipes is like the 2nd best way to LOSE backpressure, of course running wide open or from the headers would be 0 pressure.

removing resonators won't hurt at all. resonators are mufflers that help to reduce sound. so technically its like we have 4 mufflers on our car just to keep it quiet. i removed the mufflers and kept the factory resonators in and it sounds gamn good and it really woke up the car!

removing resonators won't hurt at all. resonators are mufflers that help to reduce sound. so technically its like we have 4 mufflers on our car just to keep it quiet. i removed the mufflers and kept the factory resonators in and it sounds gamn good and it really woke up the car!

+1 i did this too, maybe someday ill get rid of the resonators too

i pull my pipes apart when they go together in front of the resonator so it was basically straight piped.....sick sound....but just way to loud to be honest i couldnt hear my self think and i love loud cars dont get me wrong its just like id try and drive with people and i couldnt hear a thing they were saying...prob would of been different if i had pipes all the way to the back but still

I removed the resonators from my Magnaflow system and I think it sounds much better. Still not as loud as I would like, but still sounds good. I have some clips available if you're interested. Performance wise, I don't think it's negative. If anything, it's the same if not better on performance.

I had both my rear mufflers taken off and just did 48 inch crome baffeling tips mines stupid loud sounds mean!

Stock cats, SLP resonators, no mufflers here.. Videos on streetfire and on here somewhere..

i run megnaflow on my LS with the resonators on, and i think it sounds sexy. Pulling off the resonators would make it rather loud.. And ya gotta remember, its "Lincoln LS" meaning "Lincoln Luxury Sport" not "Lincoln Loud as S#IT".

If ya wanna be heard from a neighboring city, get an old 5.0 mustang, and pull off the exhaust! lmao :cool:

Understated

Hey guys, JUST MY OPINION, but it IS a Lincoln, fercat'ssakes. An understated suggestion of power is good, but too loud is a painintheass.

I run a complete Magnaflow system on my '02. When the turbos on my bench go on, I'll have gutted cats and the resonators. And if it's too loud that way, I'll install a pair of Supertrapp mufflers directly attached to the turbo outlets and ending at the lower edge of the back bumper. UNDERSTATED, please!
KS

Members online

No members online now.
Back