recalls and tsb

mcafferty

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
where can i find info on this? is there a website to find info on all tsb? thanks guys...Mac

I'd like to add a little info about TSB's. They really should be used as a device to help you diagnose your problem. It shouldn't be used as a "ram it down my dealers throat" kind of thing. I use the TSB's as a guide to help me diagnose a problem. I then take my car to the dealer and explain my problem. Once I do that I refer to a TSB that sounds like my problem. I don't say, "fix my car according to this TSB". This will make the dealer 9 out of 10 times clam up. Let them do their job in finding it.

I'm on the other side of the curve with this though. I have such a good relationship with my Service Manager that I can ask him about certain TSB's and how it affects me. I asked him one time about TSB's and he said they are great to help them figure out a problem. However, he hates it when a customer comes in and slams a TSB in his face.

Now, recalls are a different story. Those are safety related items and should definitely be taken seriously by you and your dealer.

My recommendation is to join www.alldatadiy.com. I have a been a member for over two years and it has great information on there about recalls, TSB's, wiring diagrams and just about anything else you need to help keep your car running good.

my ls seems to shift hard between gears. i wanted to read up on them to see if there is anything out there about that. thanks, Mac

whats tsb. also my car when put into reverse it waits like 5 secs the jerks whats that all about

my does not do that but it does not seem to shift smoooooooooooth between gears. like i think it should. is there a prom update for this or something that will fix this???

mcafferty said:
my does not do that but it does not seem to shift smoooooooooooth between gears. like i think it should. is there a prom update for this or something that will fix this???

If you're driving the car much quicker than usual, the LS will learn your driving habits and adjust the transmission shifting accordingly. If you're slow on the gas, and drive casually off of lights and corners, it will shift as so. If you were driving faster/sharper, and then started easing on it during lights/stops, you "might" feel jolts that you probably wouldn't having driven it like you were, or consistently slower for the smoother longer shifts.

didjital| said:
If you're driving the car much quicker than usual, the LS will learn your driving habits and adjust the transmission shifting accordingly. If you're slow on the gas, and drive casually off of lights and corners, it will shift as so. If you were driving faster/sharper, and then started easing on it during lights/stops, you "might" feel jolts that you probably wouldn't having driven it like you were, or consistently slower for the smoother longer shifts.

That may be the problem my wife is easy on the car and i am not most of the time. will it learn to shift smoother for her if she is the main driver? can it relearn? lol thanks

mcafferty said:
That may be the problem my wife is easy on the car and i am not most of the time. will it learn to shift smoother for her if she is the main driver? can it relearn? lol thanks

After it warms up to a given temperature (someone more experienced than I could reply and inform us of that exact number) and if it is driven a particular way from 4-6 times by taking off and slowing down at lights, it will automatically re-learn the new shifting patterns.

I notice it a lot when i'm driving on weekends as opposed to weekdays :D I'll usually feel it a 'bit' when i'm on the way into the office on a Monday while just takin it easy driving in the morning traffic, after I had been getting on it a bit more over the weekend.

Try a test, the next 2 days as you drive it, take off slow and accelerate with everyone else without giving much gas, and take turns easier, and the acceleration out of them. I firmly believe you'll find the next take offs later that day or the next to be a nice smooth drawn out shift.

Hope this helps

-DIDJI

GrayGhost1 said:
I'd like to add a little info about TSB's. They really should be used as a device to help you diagnose your problem. It shouldn't be used as a "ram it down my dealers throat" kind of thing. I use the TSB's as a guide to help me diagnose a problem. I then take my car to the dealer and explain my problem. Once I do that I refer to a TSB that sounds like my problem. I don't say, "fix my car according to this TSB". This will make the dealer 9 out of 10 times clam up. Let them do their job in finding it.

I'm on the other side of the curve with this though. I have such a good relationship with my Service Manager that I can ask him about certain TSB's and how it affects me. I asked him one time about TSB's and he said they are great to help them figure out a problem. However, he hates it when a customer comes in and slams a TSB in his face.

Now, recalls are a different story. Those are safety related items and should definitely be taken seriously by you and your dealer.

My recommendation is to join www.alldatadiy.com. I have a been a member for over two years and it has great information on there about recalls, TSB's, wiring diagrams and just about anything else you need to help keep your car running good.

I agree. The TSB's should be a guide not an ah ha I told you so weapon. Alldata is a great technical resource and if you have wifi and a laptop it make s for a great repair tool in the garage. However, you can always print out the documentation and photos if you dont. A lot of private shops use the same resource.

itsnotmydaddys said:
whats tsb. also my car when put into reverse it waits like 5 secs the jerks whats that all about

you might have a faulty solenoid pack and valve body. You might notice some slight drivabilty issues when in drive but they are typically hard to detect. The revese issue will gradually get worse and more noticeable.

This is not a cheap repair and would urge you to consider having both parts replaced as it has seemed to correct the recurring problem my LS had or replace the entire tranny so you can get the 3/36k mile warrnty on it. I have been through 4 solenoid packs and 1 valve body. The last repair was done by a different shop becasue the lost confidence in the shop I had been using. I went out and spoke to a few other shops Service Mgrs and tech before I had the last job done.

During the process I found a dealer shop that after I explained the condition explained they had seen the problem rather frequently and did see it recurr in cars they fixed once. They learned that replacing the valve body along with the solenoid pack reduced the recurrence to 0.

Members online

No members online now.
Back