Rear noise ?? what could it be ?

bmtgie

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
1998 LINCOLN CONTINENTAL

I have a noise that comes from the rear of my car it happens when I go over bumps or any imperfections in the road. I believe its coming from my wheels but with the windows up and everything it sound like its coming from the trunk like their is loose objects in moving around.

Anybody have a clue what could it be ?

rear sway bar links if it is a thumping noise. The left side makes a louder bang than the right side.

Brad.

thanks

I had the tie rods, ball joints, front sway bar, & rear spindles replace today.

I had the wrong sway bars for the rear so they didnt replace them. I went to O'reily the get some they say they dont carry rear sway bars, is it a dealership part ?

Did you mean to say 'sway bar link'? A sway bar link is the device that attaches the end of the sway bar to the car frame. On the Continentals, they are a carbon fiber 'stick' with a bolt in each end of the 'stick'. I bought mine from Ford and are expensive $100 each. I am not sure, but you might be able to get steel ones. Check Strutmasters for a replacement.

Brad.

Actually i had a bump/rattle and replacing the 2 short horizontally mounted shocks fixed it. Its right by each rear wheel and I believe attaches to the frame and swaybar. It may not be the swaybar but whatever it is the blown out ones which someone wiped the leaked out oil off of weren't doing much. As for getting a steel one (if available). My brother had a 93 sho and the steel ones were oem originally and replaced with "plastic" which held up better unlike the steel ones.

I meant to say rear sway bar links...so its either the sway bar links or the shocks?

After all this, you still have to get under the car and have a look. The sway bar links can be viewed easily to see if they are busted, the other items need more effort for inspection.

Brad.

Im going to have to bring it somewhere, because I'm not going to have any clue on what I'm looking at

brought it to the shop and come to find out it was the stabilizer link/bar

I'm 100% sure it's the Sway Bar Bushings. I've had many continentals from 97 and up and almost every single one had these issues.

It's just a rubber bushing that expands and losen up over time. The result is a sloppy sway bar. You can get them at Advance Auto Parts, Ford, and it's inexpensive.

I would just go to Ford because the price isn't much difference and they know what part to look for, rather any auto parts store that doesn't know anything about a Continental.

^I'm going to post pics later on today and I would like your opinion, it's a plastic piece thats broken on both sides

Pics of the Stabilizer bar..could this be the rear noise??

Could this be the rear noise that I hear when I run over any imperfections in the road ??

Picture013.gif

Picture012.gif

Picture011.gif

Picture006.gif

And a Pic of Connie
Picture001.gif

uhhh, yup!

that link is indeed beyond functionality. both ends are shot. should be able to just replace that link and be good, but I would check the other side, and do it at the same time if $$ allows. it will fail soon if not changed

I've changed msny of those and I never seen those like that. I get for about $30 each. Though, if those links are that bad, it's a good chance the bushings I mentioned are stretched as well, Thats if the noise continues after replacing those links.

Can you tell me where the bushings are located so I can check ? $30 each.....that's not fair, the dealer told me $65 each

at 65 bucks, your paying for stealership premium. Most any of the parts stores will have em, or can get em in a day or so.

follow the swaybar (what the upper end of the links connect to), around from one side of the car to the other. where it passes near (or next to) the frame, there will be a rubber bushing that wraps around the swaybar, and usually a metal bracket that 'pinches' the swaybar to the frame at the bushing.

basically, the bushing is a donut around the swaybar to isolate it from metal to metal contact (which would be noisy as hell, and wear very quickly). there should be 2 of them, on on each side of the car.

I can't find those stabilizer/sway links anywhere on the net, I went to O'reilly's they said they don't carry them I just might have to buy them from the dealer. I'm fixin to go start my journey looking for those bushes under my car.

Heres 2 sites/stores that sell them.

Rockauto.com sells the bushings as low is $10

I see them as sway Bar bushings on the Advance auyto parts website also. Look for it in the Chassis list after u entered u're car into the search.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?parttype=77&ptset=A&searchfor=Sway+Bar+Bushing

You see that they are inexpensive and Advance Auto Pars stores are everywhere. The noise I heard when they were bad was like hearing loose rear speakers, or a ratteling noise.

When the Sway bars are bad, I usually heard a clicking noise. But I never encountered that problem in the back. I always had issues with the front links and the rear bushings.

If u're getting them, I would check with the dealer just to see what size you exactly need, and for the hell of it a price quote.

Members online

Back