Ran out of fuel, car wont start

samuelsteven

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So, I was driving to put gas and when i was taking off from a red light i was at about 30 miles an hour and the car didnt seem to want to shift to 2nd gear, so i let off a bit and it shifted weirdly, just then i noticed my car wasnt responding to the pedal, do I glided into the gas station and put gas. When i started the car back up, it still seemed like it was choking for gas, when i tried to give it a little gas to suck up some fuel, it acted like there was still no fuel and died. When i tried a few more times to start it, it just didnt want to start. Got the car towed home, now i have to try to figure it out. It seems like its getting good fire, just no gas. I never really paid attention to the fuel pump before, so i dont remember if it was loud enough to hear, and i dont know how else to test the fuelpump. I thought maybe the fuel filter sucked some trash of from the bottom of the tank, but it doesnt even seem as if the car is getting any gas at all. The tow truck driver said on some fuel pumps theres resistors that shut the pump off from the heat and need to cool down, but i let it sit for a while and no luck.
Could it be the fuel pump went bad? Just because i ren out of gas? The car never actually turned off, just put putted and i turned it off when i got to the pump. Someone told me to spray some starter fluid into the antibody, but someone else said it wasnt a good idea since the car doesnt have a carberator. Please help

Interested to find out what the impact was here...
This hasn't happeded to me... But I remember one time where I was at 18 Gals used and was very scared of a sudden death, but made it to station.

any luck?
i've replaced my fuel pump in my 97 seville. you should be able to hear the fuel pump kick in if you turn the keys to acc and leave them sit for about 10-30 seconds.
but it may differ for different years/models

To me that most deffinetly sounds like its the fuel pump. Driving around with a quarter tank or less of fuel is not good for the pump so I imagine driving with no gas will probably fry it.

Members online

Back