Radiator

pepperman

The Real Deal
Reaction score
I just found out that I need a new radiator, a piece broke off the one that is in my TC. I tried to super glue it back on but it didn't work, any suggestions I don't want to have to go to the Dealer for this.

This is the part that broke.

IM000813.JPG

I don't know for sure, but I think (seeing that there's not coolant everywhere, and its general location, does it go back to the fill can?) that's the overflow tube. I suppose if you didn't want to replace the radiator right away you could try getting a threaded hose fitting of a similar size and just thread it into the plastic of the radiator. A few years ago, we did something similar on my friends ford truck, as a temp. fix, it still there w/ no leaks as far as i know.

example:
2692_3mg.jpg

Cool i will see what the parts stores have in that line on payday, Thanks.

Called on the part here, 102.19 my cost (I work for a shop)

Expect to pay around 125-130 for it. :)

Try that fitting thing, may get you by. It looks like just the overflow but still needed. At worse if it breaks worse you'll just have to get a new one.

I finally got around to fixing the radiator on my TC the other day and while it may not best job in the world it works. The first pic shows the material i used it was a short piece of threaded pipe about 5/16th O.D.. The second pic shows the the job completed. The third pic shows where the hose connects to the radiator and where it connects to the fill bottle, the last pic is a better view of the fill bottle. I drilled out the area where it was broke off and used a tap to put threads in the drilled area, i coated the threads on the pipe with silicone sealer with extra silicone around the base of the pipe.

4.JPG

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Well, that should at least get you by for a while.

It looks like you have, but if you have not I'd put some black RTV all around it as well.

And clean that engine already! :p

Well, that should at least get you by for a while.

It looks like you have, but if you have not I'd put some black RTV all around it as well.

And clean that engine already! :p

A mechanic friend of mine said that there was not much pressure in that area of the system, i am hoping that it will last me until i can find a radiator that is better than a stock radiator. I will get some black RTV this weekend and will clean the engine as well. :D

The most the pressure will get to is ~16psi, upon which the overflow tank cap will vent to relieve system pressure. There isn't much flow through there, either.

My Marquis has the same setup as yours (91-97), I honestly don't think I've ever seen coolant go back to the overflow through that tube lol
sta70201.jpg

So I wouldn't be TOO worried, but replacement in the near future would be a good idea.

The most the pressure will get to is ~16psi, upon which the overflow tank cap will vent to relieve system pressure. There isn't much flow through there, either.

My Marquis has the same setup as yours (91-97), I honestly don't think I've ever seen coolant go back to the overflow through that tube lol
sta70201.jpg

So I wouldn't be TOO worried, but replacement in the near future would be a good idea.

that picture is of a car that doesn't get driven right?

Members online

Back