Raced a Z/28 last night!!!!!!

DOHCtor_Mark

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Well, not since the sale of my 95 Cobra have I dared to take on one of these bowtie bandits. But lo and behold, it finally came to pass that I'd be sitting beside one at 1am on a lonely stretch of road. The light turned green, we both started rolling to about 10 mph and nailed the gas at the same time.
I held him off til he was deep in second gear. Then he started pulling away. I manually shifted @ 6,100 rpm to 2nd gear. At that point, he wasn't pulling away anymore just maintaining a 1-carlength lead. We went just over 1/8th of a mile. We stopped at the next light and he asked what I had done to it. I told him that I was just as surprised as he was.
Is this normal? I swear if I had a gear (3.73s or better) or a nice hit of nitrous, I could've more than taken him.
This was, by far, the most motivating loss I've ever taken. Nitrous and 3.73 gears will definitely be in there by April!!!!!
Though, I just wanted to share my story with you guys, I wonder what the darn thing will run in the quarter with that done.
Rock on!!!

Yo Doc... Good To hear that...

I've got Similar upgrades - LMS Chip/Dual XX Exhaust/900cfg MAF

I was on I-287 moderate traffic... cruisin in the left lane when upon my tail comes one of those Porsche Cayanne's... There was a guy in a new chevy Malibu that got the message and moved into the center lane. This was my cue:

I nailed the Mark... The exhaust I'm sure woke up the guy in the Porsche. I was going 120 in no time... Next thing I saw was the Cayenne in the far right lane goin past me.
He had to be goin close to 130. Don't know the details on those Cayenne's but I bet they're quick... Anyway, I bet I coulda had him if I wasn't coming up on my exit and had the balls to keep the MK8 floored...

Jamler3 said:
Don't know the details on those Cayenne's but I bet they're quick...
Depends which one you tangled with.

The stock Cayenne has 247 hp and does 0-60 in 8.5 with a top speed of 133.
The S model has 340 hp and does 0-60 in 6.8 with a top speed of 150.
The Turbo has 450 hp and does 0-60 in 5.2 with a top speed of 165 and would have seriously owned you.

So I would guess you tangled with an S but if he was really walking past you at 130, maybe it was the Turbo.
icon10.gif

Thanks for the info Bryan,

Well I know it wasn't the 6 Cyl. There is no way he could catch up to me that quick. This guy had at least the 8Cyl, It may have been the turbo, as I noticed
him slip to the right lane and next thing he was right next to me.

I backed off because my exit was coming up... (They come quick @ 100+)

Anyway, that got my blood pumpin... Feels good to be able to hang with the big boys now. Before I had the mods done, I bet the 6Cyl Cayenne would have ate my lunch... LOL

JC

try out a mustang gt when you're both rolling at around 30mph, you'll be shocked at what happens. I was behind a Dodge truck (yes, the Hemi) and a 99-up Mustang GT automatic a couple weeks ago. They eased off from the light and punched it. I had to get behind the dodge truck because I was gaining on the mustang. Those friggin trucks MOVE!!!! But, it was nice to finally pull on a Mustang...even though I'm a ford guy.

DOHCtor_Mark said:
try out a mustang gt when you're both rolling at around 30mph, you'll be shocked at what happens. I was behind a Dodge truck (yes, the Hemi) and a 99-up Mustang GT automatic a couple weeks ago. They eased off from the light and punched it. I had to get behind the dodge truck because I was gaining on the mustang. Those friggin trucks MOVE!!!! But, it was nice to finally pull on a Mustang...even though I'm a ford guy.

Yeah... Its good to beat the Stangs... especially cause they're so loud!!! LOL

could you give more detail about the z28, what year. also if it was an LT1 it should of been close like it was. But I spank Lt1s all the time with my 410s and true duals. BTW mustang GTs run about 14.5 to 14.8 on the higher side so off the line you will be damn close but some how that sohc will creep away.

1994 Pearl white Lincoln Mark VIII 14.4@98 mph

MarkOfDeath said:
could you give more detail about the z28, what year. also if it was an LT1 it should of been close like it was. But I spank Lt1s all the time with my 410s and true duals. BTW mustang GTs run about 14.5 to 14.8 on the higher side so off the line you will be damn close but some how that sohc will creep away.

I believe on the street. Its easy to give around 5 tenths one way or the other. Plus, im sure there are plenty of people that can't get a stock car to run close to stock times.

well if the both floored it at roughly the same time on LS1 would of ran past him but Lt1 would of been exactly how he explained it

Jamler3 said:
Yeah... Its good to beat the Stangs... especially cause they're so loud!!! LOL
JC, that is a really nice sig man. I like.

Nice to see Brad visit the board again also.
icon12.gif

MarkOfDeath...thanks for taking the wind out of my sails. I had my chest out til you reminded me of that LT1 factor. But, I'm glad to know that all I need is gears to put one in my rearview!!
You guys have been around a while...what other cars can attack when I get my gears installed? Can I beat an LS1 with the 100hp shot of nitrous and 3.73s

MarkOfDeath said:
BTW mustang GTs run about 14.5 to 14.8 on the higher side so off the line you will be damn close but some how that sohc will creep away.

There was a certain year where the GT's were faster than the cobras and I think those are the years you are talking about. Plus, the sohc engines have more torque off the line.

That year was 99. The Cobras had a recall to correct that. I drove one before and after the recall. What a difference! The GT's I drove (in stock trim) were no comparison.
I was at Fun Ford Weekend here in Atlanta last year. And this girl was running consistent 14.1 in a 2003 GT. While the times weren't all that impressive, the fact that I saw here do it at least 8 times in a row was!!

oh and sorry about the destroying your hope, trust me 4.10s and a shift kit boom your an average of .5 tenths faster or more turned my 15.1 in a 14.4 plus i got dual exhaust with the 410s. I got an h pipe by the way so x pipe might have been suggested but hey my car is running good.

I dont have an X or and H-pipe...just the basic old school dual exhaust. I plan on doing a lot of highway driving so, I dont want to go above 3.73s. They worked out for the best on my mustang so, I'll stick with em.
I talked to Scott Levigne (MM&FF Luxobarge Challenge II) and he's actually found a tubular K-member. So, I think taking some weight off the nose of the car will help as well.

I have 4.30s in mine and it is completely livable on the highway(still get 22mpg) and I have a 3000 stall to boot! I have a friend that was leaning towards 3.73s like you until he rode in mine and saw how docile it was. He went to 4.10s and loves every minute of it!

70mph cruising with 4.30s? Out of the question. For me, dropping from the 31mpg I'm getting right now to 22mpg. I'll just trade it in on anther Mustang if that's what gonna happen.

DOHCtor_Mark said:
70mph cruising with 4.30s? Out of the question. For me, dropping from the 31mpg I'm getting right now to 22mpg. I'll just trade it in on anther Mustang if that's what gonna happen.

how the hell do you get 31mpg i can get 30mpg if i go 60 mph? and if i do 80 i get 21 mpg

Eric

Members online

No members online now.
Back