Porting, polishing, cams, etc

Kelleyo

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Now that we have the SCT flash unit, I am suprised that no one has ported and polished the heads, extrude honed the intake, etc,. and done work to the cams. The first person (on LLSOC) who did it had problems because the porting was too aggressive and it was never pursued beyond that.

How much would it cost to do it right and what kind of gain could we expect with all of the other known mods and the PCM flasher?

Could this be a safer and cheaper route than a supercharger?

Someone on the other forum is doing a port and polish job on his V6. Will be very interesting to see the results.

I am still surprised that no one has done this to their LS. We talk about bolt ons NO2 and Superchargers but not porting and polishing. Why?

Is anyone here experienced with porting and polishing heads and what kind of results can be had?

im not real good with engines, what exactly does this do and what would it cost. any info. would be great

Kelleyo said:
Someone on the other forum is doing a port and polish job on his V6. Will be very interesting to see the results.

I am still surprised that no one has done this to their LS. We talk about bolt ons NO2 and Superchargers but not porting and polishing. Why?

Is anyone here experienced with porting and polishing heads and what kind of results can be had?

It yields very little power for the cost.

I dont even think you can get a cam for a LS. As far as regrinding a custom came that can be done i am guessing but you have to worry about the pcm, and then you will need headers if its an agressive lsa. Not cost effective. Plus grinding a radical cam in the LS i am sure will kill the tranny since its not meant for alot of low end tq which is where an agressive cam will make its power.

Porting and polishing the heads alone will not yield the jaw dropping power. It does help but at nearly a couple grand to get a professional to do one then have it re-installed will cost about as much as a nx 150 shot. Plus the motor in the LS i think is just pushed to its limit. Its a small V8 with not a whole lot of potential.

When you are porting and polishing all you are doing is smoothing out airflow and evening the combustion in the chambers taking care of any factory errors.

All in all the LS is an unstable race platform. It was never meant to be a drag car. Its a highway cruiser with some pep at the upper rpms so it can pass with ease on the hw. Not kill 11 second vipers. Their are just TOO many obsticals in the way.

Hate to say it but if you want to go fast with class get a type R jag or a V-series caddy. :nos:

Way back when I did my own port and polish on a Mopar B Wedge, the rule of thumb was you would get maybe an extra 20hp or so, that was on top of the 400-600hp you got from everything else. Port and Polish was essentially polish on the apple. I. E. it was just a finishing touch with diminishing returns. It's good if you have the time, money and requirement, but you can spend you money more effectively elsewhere.

I agree the LSV8 is probably a V8 that is pretty near it's potential. It is after all a very tiny V8(some sixes are bigger and many are almost as big) putting out respectable power but it required many OEM tricks to get there. Also there just aren't a lot of performance parts for this engine. Stick with the mainstream engines. Heck even ricers have more mods and often power potential.

Nothing like the cubes when you really want the power. You could spend a fortune on the LS to get 400Hp or more. Or you could buy an entire car and mods for the same price and find that 500hp is within reason and 400hp is a piece of cake. Just for fun talk, some guys on a Ford site I visit get an easy 500hp and 600ft#s out of their big block Fords. 700hp is not a hard stretch on those engines, so I have read. Course those engines are what, 3 times bigger than our puny LS?

For hot rodding get a Mustang etc. For style with cruise power, the LS is nice.

Just my opinion,

Jim Henderson

Members online

Back