Please Help. 1998 Lincoln Mark Viii lowbeam conversion

Drumlove521

LVC Member
Reaction score
What's up my beautiful lincoln people, having a hard time getting a hold of anyone who made/sold the lowbeam HID conversion kits and one of my factory bulbs just went. Would greatly appreciate it if anyone knows where to find a good HID to HID conversion kit.

Thanks and much love.

1998 Lincoln Mark Viii Lsc (Betty White) air ride to coilovers, eiboch 1.6" lowering springs, gutted cats, x pipe, SCP 18" saleen Lincoln wheels, K&N filter, and tuned by the Mark Viii Guru Lance himself.

20200528_160950.jpg

20200328_182043.jpg

20200528_151446.jpg

20190803_003803.jpg

Car looks great
I've done ddm tuning hid kits
As for the rings I dont think anyone is making them but you in my pic I show a adapter ring and one made from an old bulb. Made items with just a hack saw and dremall
20210606_185632.jpg
20210606_185627.jpg

Right on thanks man, looks like you did a good job, I don't trust myself with either tools enough to attempt the same lol. I'm willing to pay someone for a conversion kit and anything fabrication related. Biggest issue I'm having is the fact I work 6 days a week, so I don't really have the time to fabricate anything, was really looking for a plug and play kit if possible. I know that a few guys on here previously sold the conversion kits, really was hoping to get in contact with one to purchase said kit. I've aimed my high beams down for the time being but wanting to nip this problem in the bud so I can coyote swap and move on with the project.

Hate to say it, but I dont think anyone is making the adapters any more. I looked hi n low for them last year when I was forced to make the adapters up my self like slowMK suggests. I did however create a how to article that if you copy it and take your old bulbs to someone with a lathe, they might be able to bang out a pair of adapter rings out of your old bulbs. Anyone with 101 machining skill should do these up for a small fee. The article gives you pretty much what all is entailed to get low beams up and running again.
How to make 9005 Bulb adapters 4 Low Beam conversion

Hate to say it, but I dont think anyone is making the adapters any more. I looked hi n low for them last year when I was forced to make the adapters up my self like slowMK suggests. I did however create a how to article that if you copy it and take your old bulbs to someone with a lathe, they might be able to bang out a pair of adapter rings out of your old bulbs. Anyone with 101 machining skill should do these up for a small fee. The article gives you pretty much what all is entailed to get low beams up and running again.
How to make 9005 Bulb adapters 4 Low Beam conversion
Ah yeah it's looking that way. Thanks for the reply, I will definitely look into it. I'm sure I can find someone with a lathe. Thanks again.

Notice the big red flag that waves where it dosent say...... "for low beam". Maybe this can some how be rigged to work in the high beam that has no issues with drop in bulbs. But if you understand the way the low beam housing is designed, you would instantly know these folks know zero about the MKVIII 96-98 low beam arrangement otherwise they would tell you high beam only.

Had to replace low beams in my 97. Got LED's from The headlight Experts. They had high beam number but I used them just adjusted them down lower. Did have to fabricate them in. But work very well. They are in my 97 with somewhat cloudy lenses. My 98 still has the original HID and crystal clear lenses. 97 with LED lights are much better. 100 dollar for the pair, but that was a few years ago maybe cheaper now. I may change the 98 at some point even tho they are working.

Had to replace low beams in my 97. Got LED's from The headlight Experts. They had high beam number but I used them just adjusted them down lower. Did have to fabricate them in. But work very well. They are in my 97 with somewhat cloudy lenses. My 98 still has the original HID and crystal clear lenses. 97 with LED lights are much better. 100 dollar for the pair, but that was a few years ago maybe cheaper now. I may change the 98 at some point even tho they are working.
Glad to hear it man, I'll definitely need to look into the fabrication needed for the conversion. I ended up buying a new factory bulb for the time being though.

I like the idea of LEDs but from the way I see it, in addition to the bulb adapter ring, anther adapter "plate" would need to be fabricated that would have a gasketed hole in the middle for the cooling end of the LED to protrude out while the plate still keeps a seal as the OEM clear dome did. Sealing the LED into the sealed housing as the HID's are can't be a good idea for the life of the plastic housing. These old plastic housings are brittle enough as is!

Well I didn't do it the best way, They are not sealed in. I made a metal fork and drilled a hole in it where there was an existing screw hole on the housing. Bent it so when I tightened the screw down it pushes and holds them in. I don't no how hot they really get, but the bulbs have a heatsink with a fan that sticks out the back. I was always going to go back and do something better but you know how we put things off sometimes. Anyway 4 years later and they are still fine. Oh and by the way this car had been converted to halogen already when I did this. Halogen was down right dangerous couldn't see anything.

Just last night, my right side head light needed about 6 on/off's of the switch to light the DDM ultra HID bulb again. First time its done that since I put those new ones in a couple months ago. when I get some time, I have a pair of nicer headlight housings on the shelf. I'm going to fabricate a new style one piece plate that will be LED specific. These hard start HIDs are becoming a real PITA! I'm going to take your word for it that they are a clear improvement over the stockers and jump into this.

Well I didn't do it the best way, They are not sealed in. I made a metal fork and drilled a hole in it where there was an existing screw hole on the housing. Bent it so when I tightened the screw down it pushes and holds them in. I don't no how hot they really get, but the bulbs have a heatsink with a fan that sticks out the back. I was always going to go back and do something better but you know how we put things off sometimes. Anyway 4 years later and they are still fine. Oh and by the way this car had been converted to halogen already when I did this. Halogen was down right dangerous couldn't see anything.
So you had already converted the factory HIDs to halogens? I saw a post somewhere on the internet with step by step instructions on how to convert to halogens, I've just never understood the appeal to halogens other than the bulbs being found everywhere and much cheaper. Lack of lighting quality for sure.

Just last night, my right side head light needed about 6 on/off's of the switch to light the DDM ultra HID bulb again. First time its done that since I put those new ones in a couple months ago. when I get some time, I have a pair of nicer headlight housings on the shelf. I'm going to fabricate a new style one piece plate that will be LED specific. These hard start HIDs are becoming a real PITA! I'm going to take your word for it that they are a clear improvement over the stockers and jump into this.
Keep me posted if you would, definitely interested in seeing the results.

The previous owner had converted to halogen so I have no exp with getting HIDs out. But halogen absolutely terrible don't go with them. Now the LEDs are a big improvement over the original HIDs that I can say. But you will have to adjust your light down lower.

So you had already converted the factory HIDs to halogens? I saw a post somewhere on the internet with step by step instructions on how to convert to halogens, I've just never understood the appeal to halogens other than the bulbs being found everywhere and much cheaper. Lack of lighting quality for sure.
Keep in mind unlike the high beam, the low beam housing has a chromed plastic diffusion cup over the OEM HID bulb. I'm going to guess a Halogen bulb will destroy the reflectivity of that cup pretty quick with the incredible heat they generate. The LED emitter is probably the coolest of the 3 as long as the rear fan is allowed to discharge the heat outside of the sealed housing.

Members online

Back