Performance Questions

DOHCtor_Mark

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So far, I've converted the car to true dual exhaust. I dont know if it's a good or bad thing but, I don't have an X-pipe. Other than that, I've the induction tube and airbox modification. With those mods, the car put down, 219.94hp at the wheels. Is this where is should be??
I added a Diablo Sport chip to remove the top speed limited and raise the shift points and it made one hell of a difference. The car pulls so much harder, rivaling the feel of my 95 Cobra. Unfortunately, I got it dynoed yesterday and there was only a 6hp difference @ 255.84hp. I'm thinking it was the humidity that was to blame. I went in expecting at least a 15hp jump and got 6!!!
My friend's 03 Mustang GT put down 232hp with nothing more than a cold air induction and an H-pipe. What's the secret? Is the automatic eating up that much power? How can I get the power up to a near-Cobra rwhp level?

Future plans are a 125hp dry kit 3.73s and a good torque converter.

Question

DOHCtor_Mark said:
So far, I've converted the car to true dual exhaust. I dont know if it's a good or bad thing but, I don't have an X-pipe. Other than that, I've the induction tube and airbox modification. With those mods, the car put down, 219.94hp at the wheels. Is this where is should be??
I added a Diablo Sport chip to remove the top speed limited and raise the shift points and it made one hell of a difference. The car pulls so much harder, rivaling the feel of my 95 Cobra. Unfortunately, I got it dynoed yesterday and there was only a 6hp difference @ 255.84hp. I'm thinking it was the humidity that was to blame. I went in expecting at least a 15hp jump and got 6!!!
My friend's 03 Mustang GT put down 232hp with nothing more than a cold air induction and an H-pipe. What's the secret? Is the automatic eating up that much power? How can I get the power up to a near-Cobra rwhp level?

Future plans are a 125hp dry kit 3.73s and a good torque converter.

Where did you get the Diablo sport chip & how much was it ?

your number are about right. what do you mean that you converted it to true duals? did you remove the resonator?

I would first do the exhaust from the headers back, they are really restrictive. A nice tc, gears and the nitrous will definitely make a difference but make sure to get it tuned to get its full potential.

A friend of mine pulled the Diablo from his 2000 GT and I had a local shop reburn it for my Mark. It made a hell of difference in the tranny and removed that timing retard and top speed limiter. On the dyno, it pulled all the way to 7,200 rpm...dropped my jaw!! There are guys on Corral.net selling them pretty cheap, usually $100-$150. The shop charged me $35 to get a program for it and download it to the chip.
As far as the exhuast, the resonator is gone and each cylinder bank has it's own pipe all the way back to the mufflers. Only the 2 cats up front remain. Should I have an X or H pipe of some kind installed? Some say yes and some say no.
My friend is getting me the FRPP carrier assembly with 3.73s in it next.
What stall converter should I use? I was told that the stock converter for a 99 & up Mustang GT would give me a 2400rpm stall. Any word on that?

I think without the X or H you lose torque on the low end because they equalize the pressure. I would definitely change the headers though. As far as the stall, I have a 3200 in mine (remember to put a tranny cooler in) but I've heard guys go up to 3500 for daily driver use. Makes a nice difference :gr_devil:

3200 stall? Wow, that's high for a daily driven street car isn't it? I was thinking 2400-2800rpm would be just fine with 3.73s.
Did you switch differentials in your car? I'm wondering if I can get by with a simple gear swap rather than buying that FRPP carrier assembly.
Will i lose anything power up on top with the x-pipe in place?
Also, it's good to know that i'm not the only one who names their cars. I call mine Ron since it's burgundy...like The Anchorman.

the stall isn't that bad for a daily driver, its really managable. I have 373's but haven't put them in yet. I've seen guys with 410's and a 3500 stall.

Its easier to swap the whole carrier. Otherwise you have to rebuild the posi from another vehicle to put it in.

I'm not sure about the power on top end from using the X or H pipe but I don't think you would notice it anyway with all the other mods you plan on doing

I call my car maxine because of the old program "Dark Angel". The car is black (dark) and she's an angel! The lead character in that program was named Maxine

So, you're doing a straight up gear swap? A co-worker said he'd give me his differential and 3.73s from his '03 Mustang GT next week if I wanted. Is that diff the same as the Mark VIII's?
I'm gonna give Geno's mass air meter/air filter package and icebox a shot too. It should be good for another 8-10hp. Who knows?
Would you use one of the smaller (physical size) torque converter or one of the altered factory sized ones?

Members online

No members online now.
Back