Performance Air Intake...

Hello... I'm a newbie so please be easy on me :)... I just recently bought a 97' Lincoln Mark Viii LSC 4.6L V8... I was kinda lucky got it on a scratch and dent discount... 70k for $2500!! Nothing was wrong with it sept the cosmetics... though I did find a lot of useful help on this site...

But I have a ?? I'm lookin to put a new MAF intake on it... I was wondering I see a lot of Mark's with them on there... but when I try callin Jeg's or any other company they act like there's nothing but a factory replacement air filter... I know you can cross reference the engines with I think a Mustang Cobra... but I want to make sure... and also... is there any benifit of getting the whole intake kit or just the filter that fits on the end... I know cosmetically the new ones look a lot nicer... but they're about 100 bucks more... which isn't really all that bad if you get cooler air into the engine.

So basically the ?? is benefits from the whole kit?... and what kit do I order?... will the mustang cobra kit work?... or is it a GT?

Thank you for the help... I figure if anyone would know you guys would be the ones to ask!!

Well, in the first place, I dont think anybody makes any thing along those lines specifically for the Mark. I have heard that a larger MAF really wont help you any at all. Next if you examine the stock intake system, you will see that "cooler air" is ALL you can get with a stock sytem. It draws air from behind the bumper below the inner fender where the filter sits. Most of the guys start by removing the air filter box, and then go underneath and remove the air silencer. It is the large plastic box on the bottom side with an elephant snout on it. (the most restrictive part of the intake). Then reinstall the air filter and box up top. I know, it doesnt look as kewl, but it does work the best til you start making wholesale performance changes. In fact, a stock (clean) paper air filter is the way to go. They say a K&N doesnt make any difference. Oh, access to the silencer is through the wheelwell, behind the plastic liner.

Start by taking out that snorkel, and the resonator up top as well. I don't think the '97s had the extra air reservoir built into the intake tube, but if it does there's some places you can send that out to to get it shaved off. (Or some people have done it themselves.

There's only a few places out there that build MAF/Intake kits for the Mark, but usually you can put your own together by yourself for a little bit less. None of the big aftermarket companies really make stuff specifically for the Mark - you usually have to buy it for the 'stang, and adapt it to fit.

Last time I researched the idea, I think I'd decided on (not gotten to do it yet) getting a MAF from blueovalchips and fitting it with an amsoil conical filter. Cost if I remember correctly was near $250. LMS sells a kit for close to $300 I think.

Thats what Im getting when I have the money, there is no guess work and its made just for our lincolns.

been lookin at it for a while

after I get the air silencer out, how does the LMS intake connect to that hole the factory airbox sits in?

its just a open element "conical" air filter that just sits in the area where the stock airbox was, then you need a "ice box" or make some sort of a wall between the hot air in the eng compartment and the air filter

if you go thru the trouble of getting the ice box setup so the conical doesn't suck hot air from the engine bay, they yes, removing the silencer would be a good idea still.

also removing the resonators from the air tube would be a good step, i've read. I removed the big resonator today and i think i'm going hunting for another air tube this weekend so i can remove the little one and flush in the holes with some fiberglass or other patch material.

if you go thru the trouble of getting the ice box setup so the conical doesn't suck hot air from the engine bay, they yes, removing the silencer would be a good idea still.

also removing the resonators from the air tube would be a good step, i've read. I removed the big resonator today and i think i'm going hunting for another air tube this weekend so i can remove the little one and flush in the holes with some fiberglass or other patch material.

i removed the air intake resonator, got a quik cap from home depot. i think it worked out nice. My bolts are frozen on the silencer, and its kinda cold out so im going to wait before I take the silencer out.

hey what are the benefits of having the 900cfm megameter, because i just have the stock mafs on there. intake i know doesnt offer much hp and faster throttle response on "most" cars... but as far the m8 it seems like it was pretty restrictive from the factory. i think it pulled faster in the higher revs but that could just be me.

def want to get that icebox, geno let me know when you have more in stock!

i just got one of those mafs adapter plates and a conical filter and rigged it up becuase the universal filter came with some exta gaskets to size it up. It was kinda a pita, i would definetly recommend the lms intake if you have the money, as far as me i didnt so.. i went the cheaper route.

Members online

No members online now.
Back