overheating diag.

DLS8K

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So i finally got my car into the shop tonight and had it looked at for its overheating problem. We hooked up the diagnostic tool and followed the directions to test the cooling fan, etc. The CHT is reading accurately and is telling the fan to work at 100%. It then told us to disconnect the CHT and see if the fan speeds up..........which is does not. So, the assumption is that the fan is only working at one speed (low). Any ideas of what I should do now? Is my pump going bad? The fluid level in the res. is full so im thinking the pump isn't working properly...........anyone with experience with this sort of thing know what I should do now? Thanks a lot.

Chris_n_FL said:
Temp. sensor switch?
Ok....i have a little more information. I am leaning towards the problem being the hydraulic cooling fan pump for two reasons. One.......the purpose of the pump is to increase pressure allowing the fan to increase speed. When my car was telling me to check engine temperature, the fan was running at one speed which was slow. I could almost stop it with my hand. Secondly, the purpose of the pump is to keep the fluid cool........the fluid in my res. was extremely hot.

When we ran the tests with the computer, we were running hot and the fan was turning slow. We were then told to disconnect the CHT clip (which i believe is located underneath the engine cover in front of the intake......correct me if i am wrong). This would have resulted in the fan speeding up.......which it did not. This leads me to assume that my pump is on its way out.

What are your suggestions............should i try flushing the system out and maybe hope to unclog it? It is always worth a shot but it is a lot of money for something that might work. Or should I just plan on spending big dollars on a new pump? Thanks a lot everyone and i hope you guys never have this problem.

But.........could it be my fan motor? What tests should i run to see which one it is?

hopefully a tech or someone who knows more about this cooling system than i will chime in.........kind of want to get it fixed before monday.

If you could determine which fluid line between the pump and motor is the "pressure" side, you could insert a "T" and check the fluid pressure as the CHT clip (whatever that is) is removed. If the pressure goes up but the fan speed doesn't increase, I'd suspect the fan motor. If the pressure doesn't respond, I'd suspect the pump.

Any chance someone added the wrong fluid to your pump? My ex g/f added motor oil to her power steering pump once by accident, I had to remove the return line and flush out the system w/ new p/s fluid.

JohnnyBz00LS said:
If you could determine which fluid line between the pump and motor is the "pressure" side, you could insert a "T" and check the fluid pressure as the CHT clip (whatever that is) is removed. If the pressure goes up but the fan speed doesn't increase, I'd suspect the fan motor. If the pressure doesn't respond, I'd suspect the pump.

Any chance someone added the wrong fluid to your pump? My ex g/f added motor oil to her power steering pump once by accident, I had to remove the return line and flush out the system w/ new p/s fluid.
Alright..........im getting my car diagnosed up at the FLM store (same company, different location). The good thing is I don't have to pay for the diag. The background on this overheating problem is that when i took it in a month ago, the dealership where i bought the car from outsourced the work to the FLM store because they were a Dodge dealer. Well, a tech up at the Ford store replaced the t-stat and the problem didn't go away. My car is now out of its used car warranty and the Dodge dealership is no longer willing to back me with warranty. What should i do and who is responsible for this misdiagnosis? I would assume the Dodge dealership because if they would have "fixed" it at their shop, they would have had to fix it right........is this a correct assumption? Or is the FLM store liable for misdiagnosing the problem?

I have a question...has anyone tried converting the hydraulic fan on the earlier models to an electric from the 03 and up models? I wonder what would be involved. I would think you could use one of several types of controllers...doesn't have to be the PCM that controls it. But I wonder what would happen when you disconnect the hydraulic controls. Would it throw codes? It seems to me that converting to the electric fan would be a far superior fix than repairing/replacing the trouble prone hydraulic unit.

Members online

Back