OK to change trans fluid?

2Old4This

New LVC Member
Reaction score
My 03 LS V8 had about 86K miles when I bought it. I have no service records.
It now has 89K miles (a 70 mile / day commute really racks up the miles)

I want to change the transmission fluid because I don't believe in "lifetime" fluid.

But could it be that 89K miles is too far, it's too late to do a fluid change?

My favorite garage no longer does transmission fluid changes, and the MinitLube I use said they are "not comfortable" doing it to this car and refused.
Oops, I misunderstood my mechanic, he meant they don't do flushes.

Last edited:
If you are not having transmission problems, it's not too late to change the fluid. I would change it. Make sure that the correct Mercon V is used. Don't use LV or generic.

My LS went 134k without a fluid and filter change. The transmission fluid used by the manufacturer is a lot better than it used to be.

Gone are the days of 15-30,000 mile fluid and filter changes.

If you are not having transmission problems, it's not too late to change the fluid. I would change it. Make sure that the correct Mercon V is used. Don't use LV or generic.

In case you missed this part of Joe's message....

Thanks everyone!
I love the knowledge and helpful attitudes on forums.

Yup, Mercon V it is.
I wanted to do a flush (the kind that uses the tranny's own pump, not the damn backflush thing), but I can't seem to find anyone that wants to do that to the car due to age and unknown condition.
So, I'll just get a regular fluid and filter change, and if everything looks good, maybe a flush later.

And now, it's time for everyone's favorite forum topic, an OIL THREAD!

I'll be using Royal Purple Max ATF (Mercon V compatible). I wanted to use Schaeffer, whose oil I use in all my 4 stroke engines, but I can't get it.

Let er rip.

Service manual does not specifically say trans fluid need’s to be changed mark8. They do receive tear do f change at 100k. Change fluid in trans if it smells burnt or looks like color is changing. 170k miles fluid appears as new

Service manual does not specifically say trans fluid need’s to be changed mark8. They do receive tear do f change at 100k. Change fluid in trans if it smells burnt or looks like color is changing. 170k miles fluid appears as new
Maintenance schedule calls for a complete transmission fluid exchange every 150K miles.

I wrote that I'd maybe do a flush later if the fluid looked good. That was an error, I have given up on flushing.
I found a shop willing to do the flush, but he started talking about Dexron VI. I told him I have to use Mercon V and he argued with me, asked me why I wouldn't want to use the latest fluid.
Uh, yeah-no.
I left a voicemail with the local Ford dealer about flushing and never got a call back. Maybe they just forgot, but I don't feel like pushing it.

I just can't bring myself to go over 100k on tranny fluid. I guess I'm behind the times, but I'm not happy with anything over 60k.

Since this isn't an LSD, 100k on the pumpkin is no big deal, but I'll likely be changing that soon anyway.

So, the guy at the shop somehow knows more than the engineers that designed it...
He should send his resume. He could make a lot more money as an engineer.

Better yet... put him on here to share his knowledge. He'll leave with his tail between his legs.

We can start with suggesting the wrong fluid. (rolleyes)

Sounds like all he is... is a fluid jockey.

My LS went 134k without a fluid and filter change. The transmission fluid used by the manufacturer is a lot better than it used to be.

Gone are the days of 15-30,000 mile fluid and filter changes.
My '03 is at 137k and also doing okay. Would it be recommended to change the fluid, or just leave it?
I should mention it sometimes has a hard shift from 4-3 when I go WOT on a highway. Hasn't done it in a while though

Been too long to post this follow up.
My regular shop did the change, but not a flush. They dropped the pan, replaced the filter, added 6 quarts. I had misunderstood them and thought they wouldn't do any kind of tranny service, but they only meant they don't do flushes.
They said the fluid looked fine, so I guess I really could have gone longer.
I used Royal Purple, which I've read a lot of good things about, but no change in performance or mileage. Maybe because it wasn't a full replacement.
The car had 91K on it when I did the change, and now it has over 92K.

I'm thinking of doing another service at around 121K and every 30K thereafter, simply because it's only a partial drain, not a full flush, so there's still going to be some old fluid in there every time. If anyone has any thoughts about this, let me know.

My '03 is at 137k and also doing okay. Would it be recommended to change the fluid, or just leave it?
I should mention it sometimes has a hard shift from 4-3 when I go WOT on a highway. Hasn't done it in a while though

If no major issues, then it should be ok. As Joe said... 150k is the service point.

Wouldn't hurt to change it a little early if you prefer that. The filter isn't going to get much more dirty in that short time.

Only reason I didmibe early was because of a faulty solenoid pack. (which the '04 was known for.

Members online

Back