oil pressure

lincoln1

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello, I've been working on a 2001 that been sitting for many years. I recently removed the oil sender, installed a T with a oil pressure tester and a barb fitting and pumped in oil, but when the gauge didn't move, I thought nothing happened and was prepared to remove the filter, and pump oil though the off center hole in the oil filter adapter (this is what a leading manufacturer says to do) but when I just cracked it loose, oil start dripping out, I then spun it back on tight. This would tell me that the oil filter is filled and the engine is primed. Right? I then removed the barb fitting, when I did this some oil came out and then I put the sender back on the T. But on cranking it, the needle on the gauge still didn't move. In thinking that the oil that came out was to much (?), I added an 90 degree elbow with a valve with the barb fitting. When I pumped in the same amount of oil I turned the valve off. I did this each time without overfilling. Still the needle doesn't move. Is this engine primed? Will the engine have to start and run for the gauge to move? Could it be the gauge? Thanks in advance.

Hello, To clear things up, I drained the oil back then, thinking the engine was froze after sitting for 10+ years in garage and that it needed new oil circulated. Which brings it to the present. Thinking about it, it's possible the pump is not primed (?) and only the filter is filled and that oil filter adapter will have to be pumped with oil directly to the pump via the off center hole? OR maybe gauge isn't working. Some on the internet have said the only way to get oil pressure in these engines is start and run them. Thanks for listening.

You're not going to get an oil pressure reading until all of the many internal oil passages and filter are completely filled with oil.
With the system completely filled with oil, the rotating oil pump will suck oil from the sump and discharge it into the internal oil passages and filter.
The flow rate of the oil out of the rotating pump and through all the internal oil passages is sufficient to create a back pressure in the oil system.

This back pressure created by the resistance to the flowing oil is the engine's oil pressure.
The faster the oil pump turns, the more oil is pumped, the higher the resistance to the flowing oil, the higher the oil pressure.

Thanks FlaOkie, Since just cranking has not brought the pressure up on the gauge, I'm going try to start it and see if the pressure comes up. Of course if it doesn't within 5 seconds I'll shut off. Then I will have to take the filter off and try to pump oil though the filter adapter.

Hello, In looking at pictures of the oil filter mounting adapter, it looks like the off center hole on the filter surface goes to the pump. Thanks for listening again

Members online

No members online now.
Back