Oil Pressure Warning Message

huey29

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Guys,

My 94 Conti is acting up continuously with this annoying message, with the oil pressure guage dropping. What is the easiest & quickest solution to get this beeping to stop. I know the computer has a defect (it has been replaced before along with a sensor). Is it best to bypass the system or just remove a fuse or speaker? Thanks for any advice.

Well first of all how old is the oil pump??? If it's on it's way out the gauge may be resading correctly. Also do you have any oil leaks?

If it is just a sensor problem a DCL tuneup may be in order. The message may stop afterwards.

huey29 said:
Guys,

My 94 Conti is acting up continuously with this annoying message, with the oil pressure guage dropping. What is the easiest & quickest solution to get this beeping to stop. I know the computer has a defect (it has been replaced before along with a sensor). Is it best to bypass the system or just remove a fuse or speaker? Thanks for any advice.

the info provided by conti94 is probably the cause, or it could be a faulty sending unit...

my question is why do you 'know' the computer has a defect?? They rarely fail.. The Dash computer (referenced in the check DCL article), is the only computer I know of in the conti's that fails, and its not really a failure.. just a bad connection. Also, the gauge feed does not go 'thru' the engine computer before the dash. the dash monitors on its own, and is sounding the alarm on its own.

Thanks for the advice guys. I have no oil leaks & assume the pump is fine. I had the PCM & oil pressure sending unit replaced, but the problem came back. I thought that I read somewhere here that the computer was faulty & always gave bad readings once in awhile. My wife is demanding that I fix it ASAP or she wants a new car. I'll try the DCL tuneup but was hoping for a quick fix before I find time to do the tuneup. Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

I don't think the oil pressure sending unit is even connected to the computer in the first place. If you replaced that, it's probably the DCL.

BTW, it is EXTREMELY rare for the PCM to fail. And when it does, the engine would most likely not run at all.

Me Too!

I just bought my 94 Conti and am having the exact same problem, I will try the article suggested but if that fails did any of the other suggestions help?

Drive-In-Style said:
I just bought my 94 Conti and am having the exact same problem, I will try the article suggested but if that fails did any of the other suggestions help?

If there is an oil leak it is most likely the oil pan. If it is the oil pump then you will need a new oil pump of course. (sorry if my explanation is a little to vague, i am pretty tired LOL). Anyways a oil pressure gauge usually goes crazy when there is a leak or there is a bad oil pump. Most likely it is you're DCL. hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice guys. I just got back from holidays this week & now plan to check out getting rid of these anoying messages. I do not have an oil leak & the oil pump seems to be OK. Yes, my PCM did fail, as the car was stalling at slow speeds. I also did the suspension conversion to coils last year. Is there a connection or fuse that I can just temporary disconnect for a quick solution? Thanks again.

I dont know of any connection to undo to stop the oil warning on the dash. if you disconnect the sensor wire at the sensor, I believe (but not 100% positive) it will sound the alarm.

if your referring to the air suspension warning, there is a wire that can be cut (in trunk) and grounded. dont remember off top of head which one, but at least on of the aftermarket coil suppliers has instructions online as to what has to be done to silence that alarm.

Tried the DCL

Hey guys,
I tried the DCL tune-up. Twice.
The first time I used the back of an eraser as suggested and it helped a bit but still beeped.
I then went back and tried again with alchool. This again helped but did not solve the problem.

If I am unable to solve this problem I am going to disconnect my speaker and take my chances with watching the dash for warning messages.
(In which case I will need help finding the speaker. I know some of you have already cut yours, wanna drop some info?)

you appearently need the more 'in depth' repair than what the DCL tune has you do...

basically, take the cluster out, then take it apart... carefully! you need to resolder the 2 (or 3, depending on year) black connector on the computer circuit boards in the cluster. these are not real easy to do, but once done, will stop DCL, and intermittant oil press gauge problems..

I can do the work for you, all ya gotta pay is shipping both ways, takes me a day to do.

Members online

No members online now.
Back