Oil Filter part # change

Beamer

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I went to advance auto and they did not have the motorcraft oil filter for the ls (FL 2008). I asked and they said the computer said there was a change in the part # and its now FL 2021. I'm just wondering if anyone else knows about this and if its right before I go ahead w/ my oil change.

Beamer said:
I went to advance auto and they did not have the motorcraft oil filter for the ls (FL 2008). I asked and they said the computer said there was a change in the part # and its now FL 2021. I'm just wondering if anyone else knows about this and if its right before I go ahead w/ my oil change.

They are right Motorcraft FL2021 has replaced FL2008.

Ok, I believed them but just wanted to make sure before I did the change. I'm thinking about just having the Dale Jarrett Ford dealer do the oil changes from now on because a friend just had his f-150 done and it only cost like $20 and some change meanwhile I'm paying like almost $40 for the stuff and it seems its better to wait while its getting done and pay probably like $10 to $15 less and they are using the same stuff I do so. I'm gonna call there when its time for the next one and ask if they can give an estimate on doing it before I go.

Yeah your car uses a filter that sells for between $8 and $20, most stores I have seen are in the teens. The truck probably uses one that costs around $5 or less. So that is where your extra cost is coming from, plus maybe 1 qt more oil. And it IS a Lincoln, it should cost more to service right?

I buy my filters thru Rockauto. They sell a Wix that appears to be quite sturdy and has been reviewed favorably in other postings on the web. I think when you buy them 4 at a time they cost something like $8 each including shipping. One at a time costs a lot more due to shipping.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

I don't know why your stuff cost almost $40 unless you are using synthetic oil. The FL2021 at Advance costs about $8.
I will bet at the Ford dealership they only use 5w30 dino oil is why it is so much cheaper. I would rather use synthetic.

Beamer said:
Ok, I believed them but just wanted to make sure before I did the change. I'm thinking about just having the Dale Jarrett Ford dealer do the oil changes from now on because a friend just had his f-150 done and it only cost like $20 and some change meanwhile I'm paying like almost $40 for the stuff and it seems its better to wait while its getting done and pay probably like $10 to $15 less and they are using the same stuff I do so. I'm gonna call there when its time for the next one and ask if they can give an estimate on doing it before I go.
At $20, they're using dino juice, which is under $2/qt, IIRC (I don't use it, so I don't pay attention to the price of it). There's no way they're using synthetic or even semi-syn at that price. They're certainly not using Mobil1 at that price point.

BTW, that's nothing against dino juice. Ford says it's OK to use; I just prefer Mobil1. I've been using it almost exclusively for the last 10+ years; I used Amsoil for awhile in my SHO, but Mobil1 is more readily available around here.

Members online

Back