Oil Change

pepperman

The Real Deal
Reaction score
I plan on changing the oil my 91 Town Car around the 5th of August nad i would like to know should i stay with motorcraft oil or use a synthetic oil and which one would be the best to use. :give :Beer :feed :L

Refer to the owners manual. I think they recommend 5W30. I would stay with the $1.50 qt oil and just change it every 3000 miles. Works for 99% of the population.

I always go synthetic and change every 3000 miles. I figure its an extra level of protection and much cheaper then a new engine.

I've heard that if it's an older vehicle, you shuld keep to the dino oil, and not sythetic. Reason is synthetic molecules are smaller and will find any holes in the engine and you'll have a leak fest, unless you first initially put sythetic from the begining.... I'd say stay with the 5w30 dino

Only use synthetic oil if the engine has always been run on it. Otherwise I highly recommend on using a quality 5w30 dino oil.

Just got home from work and read your advice and that settles the question
i will stay with dino oil, thank you for the advice. :give :Beer :L

I really don't have any leaks, i have to add a quart of oil about every 600 to 700 miles. Oil change comes up on august 5th. :give :Beer :L

Hi pepperman

A quart per 700 miles is a little below Fords acceptable usage figure of a quart per 900 miles. How many miles do you have on your engine? Do you puff a little smoke at a stop sign? it could be time for some valve stem seals, which may dramatically reduce your oil comsumption, my 92 TC with 129,000 miles barely uses a quart per 3000 miles.

Allthough high oil comsumption isn't much of a problem in itself other problems may occur if left for too long such as blocked EGR channels, carbon build up it the combustion chamber that can cause pinging and damage to the catalysts.

Regards

Dereck

Dereck,
The car itself has over has over 170,000 miles on it, i got it from a friend of mine it use to belong to his uncle and they told me that a couple years before i got it someone put a factory brand new engine it, so i am not sure exactly how many miles are on the engine. I make sure that i change the oil every 3 months or 3,000 miles, I do have a check engine light that comes on every once in awhile and i will be changing the spark plug wires soon the car shudders when i get it up to speed. the car came from Las Vegas. :give :Beer :L

pepperman said:
Dereck,
The car itself has over has over 170,000 miles on it, i got it from a friend of mine it use to belong to his uncle and they told me that a couple years before i got it someone put a factory brand new engine it, so i am not sure exactly how many miles are on the engine. I make sure that i change the oil every 3 months or 3,000 miles, I do have a check engine light that comes on every once in awhile and i will be changing the spark plug wires soon the car shudders when i get it up to speed. the car came from Las Vegas. :give :Beer :L

It depends on what they did when they replaced the motor. The "whole motor" isn't everything under the hood. There are still things that may have 170k on them.

That is very true, some things were replaced before i got it, but other than that its a good car. :give :Beer :p :L

Members online

No members online now.
Back