Not ready for emissions!!!

Jibit

Dearly Departed Friend
Reaction score
Took the car in for emission testing yesterday and they connected into the OBDII harness to see if the check engine light came on. Well the car came back saying not ready. I asked what the h-e-double hockey stick does that mean? The guys told me that either the car has been service recently or the battery has been disconnected. Well this past Friday I disconnected the battery to test the main power line going to my amp because I was popping fuses (I'm grounding somewhere). The manual says that I have to drive the car for 30 minutes highway and 10 minutes of city consecutively. They wouldn't do the test the old way either so now I have to wait until the car feels like its ready, what a bunch of BS! I guess it caught me by surprise the car isn't reacting quickly considering I drive an hour each way to work and the battery was disconnected 5 days ago.

I had to go back and forth 4 times with a GM vehicle that had been battery disconnected. The computer has to "relearn" your driving habits.

It is very frustrating when you have a brand new car and then you see all the oil burners they let run all over the roads.

Here's the kicker, the car was sitting all winter because I was replacing the fuel pump and the weather got too cold so I left it. I got the notice to do the emission testing last November I think and kept getting the late notices. Well spring came along and I finally got the fuel pump in. I totally forgot about the testing until I got a notice that my plate would be suspended if I didn't test by June 20th. Well, I guess now I'm driving on suspended plates, but I have to drive the car for the computer to calibrate itself so I can retest. Catch 22!!!

What a load of crap! Thanks though, I will remember that for future reference with any OBD-II cars. Good luck!

In Illinois, if you failed emissions and they take your plates away, you can apply for a temporary extension (3 days I believe). Of course, it costs money, because the state is comprised of a bunch of %$#@%$ money grubbers, but at least you won't get a $500 ticket and a court date.

Jibit said:
Took the car in for emission testing yesterday and they connected into the OBDII harness to see if the check engine light came on. Well the car came back saying not ready. I asked what the h-e-double hockey stick does that mean? The guys told me that either the car has been service recently or the battery has been disconnected. Well this past Friday I disconnected the battery to test the main power line going to my amp because I was popping fuses (I'm grounding somewhere). The manual says that I have to drive the car for 30 minutes highway and 10 minutes of city consecutively. They wouldn't do the test the old way either so now I have to wait until the car feels like its ready, what a bunch of BS! I guess it caught me by surprise the car isn't reacting quickly considering I drive an hour each way to work and the battery was disconnected 5 days ago.

SO basically,the car requires foreplay?

Members online

No members online now.
Back