Normal Coolant Operating Temperature

kano

New LVC Member
Reaction score
ive recently changed my radiator, upper/lower hoses, thermostat, Water Pump because my old rad blew and water pump needed replacement too so i desided to rebuild the entire cooling system..

ive bled the rad from air, the car was running at 95-100 C degrees, yesterday ive took it to 170km/h and the overflow was pissing out a quite large ammount of coolant when i parked.

next day i get in the car it runs 100-117 C degrees, so i take it back to where my car was serviced asking them to top up my coolant... the mecanic opens up the reservoir and coolant level is at its normal level, so he says its all fine i dont need any.

so im wondering..... Is it normal for my 93 Eldorado to run at 115-117C? considering it was operating at 95-100 before and it ran much better... and 126C is already overheat.
btw the outside temperature here is +16 if that affects anything.

thanks,

3 hours later.......

driving in traffic the temperature goes over 126C "Engine Coolant Too Hot" message on dash, the red Overheat button goes on, "Stop Engine"

for some reason my overflow is pission out coolant, but not as Pure coolant as i put in... its about 70% watered down..

here are the Codes i get regarding this issue.... if someone knows what they mean please help, i have to get to work on Saturday somehow.

P095 (E095) .................................................. Engine Stall Detected

A050 ........................................... HVAC - Coolant Temperature Too High

any help would be highly appreciated,
thanks

You need to be very careful about the overheating because constant overheating could lead to a blown head gasket, a $2500 to $3500 repair. I will check to see if I find out about the proper coolant tempeture. The maintenance of the coolant system is very important. Did you refill the radiator with 50/50 distilled water and Dexcool? Did you put the Bars Leak GoldinSeal tablets or powder in your lower radiator hose before you refilled it?

??????

i wouldn't know a celcius if it bit me in the as*....
i'm a farenheit kind of guy.

Ok, how about this, check the cap on your coolant surge tank. The cap may not be sealing properly.

thats runing way too hot

My eldo runs at 100 - 104 C and even that makes me feel uneasy

ok im new the these forums but not to cars . my girls kid has a 95 elderado with a 4.6 n* motor and it was running hot 250+ F and brought it to pep boys and was told that it was a bad thermostat so we replaced that with a new one and it was still running at 250+ so i changed the water pump and the pump belt was worn and the tensioner was frozen so i got that freed up and replaced the belt. it already had a brand new radiator and the antifreeze was all good. but it is still running at about 258 after all that was replaced. any suggestions. thanks in advance.

ok some information that i forgot to post.
after letting it warm up to operating temp. the upper and lower hoses are not even hot but when i go to open the fill hole it pretty much pisses all over the place and there is alot of pressure in the system. im thinking even though its a brand new thermostat it may be faulty. so im gonna try a new one and see what happens.

A few month ago I replaced the radiator and upper and lower hoses (94 Eldorado). The normal operating temperature ranges from 196F (91C) to 207F (97C). Even while idling in traffic I do not believe the temp has of yet reached 225F (107C). Sometimes it will even go below 196F (192-194) for a short periods. This is likely due to little or no load on the engine and the water cools faster than the thermostat is able to adjust.

Members online

No members online now.
Back