No start LS

thamarkman

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello to all you LS lovers out there.

My moms LS isn't starting. She said she heard a clunk and then it wouldn't start. It seems to turn over but it just doesn't sound right. LS's have a very distinct starting sound. kind of a rr -rr -rr vroom and takes off. It cranks but it like its not catching the flywheel, only it is because the fan spins when it cranks. It just the wierdest cranking noises I've ever heard. Hard to explain just sounds bad.

Just wondering if anyone else has had anything like this happen to them?

Any ideas would be helpful, but we haven't really dug into it too much.
thanks, Brian.

thamarkman said:
Hello to all you LS lovers out there.

My moms LS isn't starting. She said she heard a clunk and then it wouldn't start. It seems to turn over but it just doesn't sound right. LS's have a very distinct starting sound. kind of a rr -rr -rr vroom and takes off. It cranks but it like its not catching the flywheel, only it is because the fan spins when it cranks. It just the wierdest cranking noises I've ever heard. Hard to explain just sounds bad.

Just wondering if anyone else has had anything like this happen to them?

Any ideas would be helpful, but we haven't really dug into it too much.
thanks, Brian.

If you hear the starter spin, or an ocasional clunk/tick, but it still spins... chancers are the starter has a bad bendix/bendix spring. in which case, its time to replace the starter motor.

But, you said that the engine is turning (you can see the belt/pulleys turning) Then you could have a broken timing chain on one of the banks, a problem with transponder (which would cut fuel), a tripped inertia switch (also cuts fuel... the inertia switch is located in the drivers kick, you will see an access hole to reset the button).

So, if the crank is actually spinning start with these simple things... reset the inertia switch button, make sure the red LED on the dash (by the defrost vent) is NOT lit/flashing (transponder key lost programming).

If this doesnt help, give a bit more info on the scenario (look/listen under the hood while someone else cranks the engine) and let us know

Thanks for the reply, those all sound possible.

We took it to the dealer today, so we'll se what they say.

I'll let everyone know what the dealership says. Thanks for your time.

Turns out that the #5 fuel injector was staying on and flooding the engine, resulting in a no start situation. Dealer fixed it under warranty, didn't have to pay a penny. And they were nice.

Members online

No members online now.
Back