Newby saying Hi... and have questions!

crotchrocket

LVC Member
Reaction score
First off all I wanted to say Hello. My name is Luis. I love in the Houston Area. I am 32, Married, 3 yr old Daughter. I found the forum after doing a search. Great forum. Exactly what I was looking for.

Now for the good stuff. I am going to suprise my wife for either Christmas or Her birthday in March. "probably March" I want to get her a used Lincoln Ls. She said she either wanted a new Gator "too much cash for me", a 3 series Beemer "dont think so" or an LS. Now we are talking!

She currently drives a 99 Navigator with some 20" chrome wheels and slight suspension drop. She loves the truck but she wants a car. I will not be getting rid of the Gator. I need it for a tow vehicle. Plus I love driving it and towing my boat.. Awesome combo. And its almost paid for.

I drive a 99 Cobra convertable. with a few mods. Which I love. So I am all about the more HP the better. Even though my cobra could use some. I have been into performance vehicles since day 1.

I really love the Ls's but I dislike the fog lamps on the 2000 to 2002 models? Was 2003 the first year to change the fog lamps? Also If I get a 2001 year can I replace them with something better looking?

What year would you recommend? I definetly want a V8. Was there a HP upgrade any year or are they all the same exact engine and tuning? Are the tranny's of all the years the same? Brakes all the same?

I saw a few pics of one of your cars here. With a different body kit and head and fog lights and stuff. I definetly love that look. I would probably do something in those lines to it too. It appeared to be dark gray. PIMP Ride..

I am wanting a dark color. I saw a dark gray one. I dont know what you call that color but it looks awesome. I dont like Black. I guess the only other two options would be Pewter or Dark Blue. I am sure I will think of other stuff to ask. Sorry for the long post.. I am just excited I found this forum. Luis

welcome

welcome to the forum. im a newbie too so i cant answer any qustions but i can say whut up.......whut up

Luis,

Welcome. I know if I got my wife and LS for Christmas it would be a happy household.

Some of the questions you have about the LS are pretty common. The LS was first introduced in 2000 and basically stayed the same until 2002. 2003 saw around 500 changes to the car including some minor facia changes. The biggest change that year was the increase in HP. The 2003 went to 280 HP which was a 28HP increase. Also, other major items for the 2003 were suspension changes that helped with vibration and handling. Some say the 2003 and up LS's are a better car but it's all subjective. I have a 2001 V8 and absolutely love it. I've driven a 2003 and have to say it's a nice car but for some reason it looses some character. I would recommend that your drive both so that you can form your own opinion.

There are bolt performance items for the 2000-2002 LS like cold air intake and cat back exhaust. Also, the fog lights on the 2000-2002 LS's are not a direct swap out for the 2003 fogs but it can be retro-fitted. I know because I did that to my car about a year and half ago. In 2002, Lincoln introduced the Lincoln LSE. It basically had an appearance package which included a re-designed front fascia, side skirts and rear valance with exhaust port cutouts. Those kits are still available for the 2000-2002 LS's. Lincoln re-introduced the LSE in 2004 with a different body style.

You can get a great deal on just about any LS out there. If I had my druthers I'd search for either a 2001 or 2002 LS. Those years seemed to be a little more stable than before and aft. Also, if you go with a 2002 you might be able to find the LSE version. Remember that year the LSE was only available in two different colors: Black and Silver.

Hope this helps!

Ken

I have kind of an "off topic" question, does anyone know what changes were made to the engine to gain those 28 ponies? I was curious as to what they changed, and if it is something that can be reproduced or if it was all internal.

shltn said:
I have kind of an "off topic" question, does anyone know what changes were made to the engine to gain those 28 ponies? I was curious as to what they changed, and if it is something that can be reproduced or if it was all internal.

The majority of it was external. The throttle body went from 3" to 3.5" and was repositioned closer to the front of the vehicle. The exhaust was re-worked to increase flow. With those two combinations they got the greatest increase in power. If I remember correctly, the manifold is different as well.

You can do the same thing Lincoln did by adding a less restrictive air intake and adding a cat back system to your 2000 LS.

:W to the LvC......there are some knowledgeable ppl here...you came to the right place!

That is great! Thanks for the info! Where are some of the best places to pick up the exhaust?

GrayGhost1 said:
The majority of it was external. The throttle body went from 3" to 3.5" and was repositioned closer to the front of the vehicle. The exhaust was re-worked to increase flow. With those two combinations they got the greatest increase in power. If I remember correctly, the manifold is different as well.

You can do the same thing Lincoln did by adding a less restrictive air intake and adding a cat back system to your 2000 LS.

GrayGhost1 said:
Luis,

Welcome. I know if I got my wife and LS for Christmas it would be a happy household.

Some of the questions you have about the LS are pretty common. The LS was first introduced in 2000 and basically stayed the same until 2002. 2003 saw around 500 changes to the car including some minor facia changes. The biggest change that year was the increase in HP. The 2003 went to 280 HP which was a 28HP increase. Also, other major items for the 2003 were suspension changes that helped with vibration and handling. Some say the 2003 and up LS's are a better car but it's all subjective. I have a 2001 V8 and absolutely love it. I've driven a 2003 and have to say it's a nice car but for some reason it looses some character. I would recommend that your drive both so that you can form your own opinion.

There are bolt performance items for the 2000-2002 LS like cold air intake and cat back exhaust. Also, the fog lights on the 2000-2002 LS's are not a direct swap out for the 2003 fogs but it can be retro-fitted. I know because I did that to my car about a year and half ago. In 2002, Lincoln introduced the Lincoln LSE. It basically had an appearance package which included a re-designed front fascia, side skirts and rear valance with exhaust port cutouts. Those kits are still available for the 2000-2002 LS's. Lincoln re-introduced the LSE in 2004 with a different body style.

You can get a great deal on just about any LS out there. If I had my druthers I'd search for either a 2001 or 2002 LS. Those years seemed to be a little more stable than before and aft. Also, if you go with a 2002 you might be able to find the LSE version. Remember that year the LSE was only available in two different colors: Black and Silver.

Hope this helps!

Ken

Ken,
This is exactly what I was wanting to know. I have been looking at pricing. And you can definetly get a 01 02 way less than the 03. Plus I saw that LSE front. I like that. I am guessing it would be wise to do the whole kit all the way around so it doesnt look Ghetto. I dont know that i have actually seen LSE model for sale. I am going to do a search for one though. But the colors are not my 1st choice. I have no problems installing different throttle bodies or even some minor intake mods. I know my wife will want a cat back on it too. She is freak that way. The cobra was actually hers til I got her the Navigator and I got the Cobra by defalt. Thanks again for the info. I am sure in no time flat I will be able to donate plenty of LS wisdom for the near future..

you know with 500 changes.. Makes me want to think they were improvements? That sure sounds like a lot of improvements. Plus the extra HP sure sounds nice. But is it worth the extra cash? The million dollar question I guess.

Does anyone know how much an LSE body kit would cost new? I am guessing Front Facia, side skirts and there is a rear facia? Thanks

crotchrocket said:
you know with 500 changes.. Makes me want to think they were improvements? That sure sounds like a lot of improvements. Plus the extra HP sure sounds nice. But is it worth the extra cash? The million dollar question I guess.

Does anyone know how much an LSE body kit would cost new? I am guessing Front Facia, side skirts and there is a rear facia? Thanks

Lincoln claims they were improvements but again it's all subjective. The increase in power was a major deal but you can offset that with bolt on performance for earlier years.

I offer the LSE body kit for the 2000-2002 LS's. The cost is $899.99 but if you are an LVC Gold member you get 10% off that price. Worth the cost of a gold member and still save. See my post here:

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=3186

Good luck finding the right LS. There are some great deals out there on a great car.

GrayGhost1 said:
Lincoln claims they were improvements but again it's all subjective. The increase in power was a major deal but you can offset that with bolt on performance for earlier years.

I offer the LSE body kit for the 2000-2002 LS's. The cost is $899.99 but if you are an LVC Gold member you get 10% off that price. Worth the cost of a gold member and still save. See my post here:

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=3186

Good luck finding the right LS. There are some great deals out there on a great car.

Thanks for the heads up on the LSE kit. By the way you car looks PIMP! That is the exact color I was hoping to find. What is the official name of the color? Dark Gray?

crotchrocket said:
Thanks for the heads up on the LSE kit. By the way you car looks PIMP! That is the exact color I was hoping to find. What is the official name of the color? Dark Gray?

Thanks for the compliments! It is Midnight Grey Metallic color code TV. It was available from 2000-2002. It was discontinued in 2003 and the Charcoal Grey took it's place.

GrayGhost1 said:

The intake manifold is 100% differnt, the exhaust manifolds were replaced with 4-2-1 headers, and valve timing was changed (vvt), and compression was bumped up a bit, to make things even better, the hydraulic fan was switched to an electric fan (free up some crank drag), the rear end was changed to 3.58's, and the pcm was totally reprogrammed ...in addition to what GrayGhost listed.

mikepietras04 said:
The intake manifold is 100% differnt, the exhaust manifolds were replaced with 4-2-1 headers, and valve timing was changed (vvt), and compression was bumped up a bit, to make things even better, the hydraulic fan was switched to an electric fan (free up some crank drag), the rear end was changed to 3.58's, and the pcm was totally reprogrammed ...in addition to what GrayGhost listed.

Yep, you're exactly right. I forgot about the manifolds. This another 499 items were changed in 2003. Don't have them all listed though. I could probably find them and post later.

Members online

No members online now.
Back